Ford Focus Forum banner

00zx3 terrible surging and hesitation please help!

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  hEaT 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Toby and I registered here to see anyone could help me with my car's very annoying problem.

It's a 00 zx3 with 77,000 miles on it. I am the second owner and it's been well taken care of. I have had it for 3 months and put an intake on it the first week I bought it and it was working great.

Yesterday I started it up and the rpms would rise to 1,000 drop to the point of almost stalling and then pick back up. I didn't pay much attention but when I was driving it surges terribly and has absolutely no power even when I have the accelerator pinned down. I took it to autozone so they could tell me what could possibly be wrong with it and the computer said it could be the the spark plugs, vacuum and 2 others I don't remember. But I replaced the spark plugs and it help it idle slightly better but the same surging and loss of power when I am driving at almost any speed still remains.

Any suggestions are welcome!! thanks a lot!
-Toby

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Sure, I will post pictures today. I tried the DPFE and EGR sensor hacks and they didn't seem to make a difference but when I took the tube off the HI connection there were some debris in the tube but I cleared them out. Itlooked like ash build up.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I thought I should add that the autozone test gave codes that cylinder 4 was misfiring so I replaced the sparkplugs but that was about it and it helped a little, it idles better but when I drive it still has the same symptoms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.