Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm new here and have an 03' FSVT. I just turned over 100K and decided from what I hear around is to change the timing belt no matter what. I started and removed all my tentioners, idler pulleys, water pump(it was leaking too), crank pulley, etc. Then when I went to ensure it was still in time, it appears that my intake cam was out of time, so I started asking around in groups and it was suggested that I move my intake camshaft back(counter clockwise if looking from the from front of the motor) until my camshaft tool fit back into the slot at the end of the intake camshaft, which it did, but then I removed the tool and it snapped back so the tool didn't fit in the intake camshaft slot anymore. Though my exhaust camshaft appears to be fine with the tool fitting in the slot just fine. I"m lost now and don't want to move the intake camshaft around anymore. I just need some help. Can I just loosen the intake camshaft pulley and start the timing process all over again so the camshaft tool fits back in the slot? The Crankshaft is at TDC, I"m pretty certain and everything else is fine. I just need some help here. I love this car and don't want to have to get rid of it just because I can't figure this out. I don't know if I trust a Ford Service Center with this job? Even better yet, if anyone is near Sacramento and could just help me get this camshaft back where it should be, I'd make it worth your time and gas. Thank you!

·
I
13,781 Posts
Get the oil out of the VCT gear and try again before you loosen anything. Take the big torx plug off the end, put a rag under the gear, and rotate the gear forward and back. You'll hear all the oil coming out. Do that until you stop hearing the oil come out and the spring in the gear holds it firmly on its stop. At this point, you should be able to move the camshaft towards the windshield and there will be zero play before the gear also tries to move.

Re-time now and see if you can get it all lined up.

Also, welcome! And good call on getting all of the timing belt components changed out. Did you get a Ford tensioner or aftermarket? If you have time, I would advise using the regular Ford Zetec tensioner and one of these springs:

Ford discontinued the SVT Focus tensioner, which has a stiffer spring. The rest of the tensioner is the same as the regular Zetec so by swapping the spring, you can make the proper tensioner. The car I have now, the previous owner wasn't able to get timing to hold with the Gates tensioner and others have had issues with it too (timing out, CEL, valves hitting pistons in extreme cases).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts