Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find someone near manatee county Florida to tune my zx3. Just had a turbo kit installed and need to get the fuel to keep up with boost. I have called at least 6 places near me with dynos but none will touch it. Either they only work on Japanese or European. And the ones that do domestic only do dodge or chevy. I got really screwed over by the mechanic who installed the kit and ended up having to redo the whole system. I'm not very knowledgeable on turbo systems other than changing out parts so the fact that I went back and fixed it mostly impressed me. I have an sct tuner that kinda helps but not all the way. So any place within about 50 miles of manatee county that will do it, I will go check out.
#turbonewbie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try asking your neighbors and if they have solid recommendations otherwise your best bet would be to travel to the nearest county, maybe try posting on craigslist/FB's local community section

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try asking your neighbors and if they have solid recommendations otherwise your best bet would be to travel to the nearest county, maybe try posting on craigslist/FB's local community section
That's who I have been asking. And customers, and other performance techs. Nobody knows anyone who can or will touch it. I guess I will have to wait a while till I can purchase a full tuning kit with the ability to remap everything. I have permission to use a dyno at a local shop but they do not have the ability to tune. Only dodge and chevy. If I take the wastegate apart, I only want to pull out 1 spring. I like the boost I am able to maintain but with the controller turned all the way down, I'm getting too much still. I'm not entirely sure how the wastegate works so I want to make sure I remove the right part to help my situation. But as it sits, 0-70 in 4 sec at least, if not less. I am trying to find gas pedal equality between boost pressure and fuel flow. So far I can hold a good 5-6psi without fuel cut out. I know I have a long way to go and it's going to get expensive, but I started it, so I have to finish it. I would like to start an only focus meet. If I can get permission from my boss, I would have it at the shop. Hopefully soon, I can get that going.

·
I
13,360 Posts
maybe, how would that work?
You hook up the XCal and datalog, send the file to the tuner, they review and update your calibration, mail it back to you, you flash. The cycle continues until they're happy with the car. You'll need a safe place to do 3rd gear pulls. You'll also need a wideband installed and connected to the XCal.

It's a good option, especially when there's no one locally who can tune the car on a dyno.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You hook up the XCal and datalog, send the file to the tuner, they review and update your calibration, mail it back to you, you flash. The cycle continues until they're happy with the car. You'll need a safe place to do 3rd gear pulls. You'll also need a wideband installed and connected to the XCal.

It's a good option, especially when there's no one locally who can tune the car on a dyno.
Ok. Since I don't have o2 sensors installed, would that work out? Or should I drill and install? I'm good on the mechanical side. Just not on the electronic and technical side. Still learning all this stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. Since I don't have o2 sensors installed, would that work out? Or should I drill and install? I'm good on the mechanical side. Just not on the electronic and technical side. Still learning all this stuff.
Another thing, could I hook to PC and have them update it online?

·
I
13,360 Posts
I would find a tuner first and see what they recommend. They'll likely have a "favorite" or recommended wideband o2 to install. I like the AEM, but usually best to follow the tuner's guidance on what they like.

Another thing, could I hook to PC and have them update it online?
They'll email you the tune and you hook the SCT up to the computer and save the file to it. Is that what you mean? Unfortunately you can't hook a PC directly to the car and have someone remotely flash it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would find a tuner first and see what they recommend. They'll likely have a "favorite" or recommended wideband o2 to install. I like the AEM, but usually best to follow the tuner's guidance on what they like.

They'll email you the tune and you hook the SCT up to the computer and save the file to it. Is that what you mean? Unfortunately you can't hook a PC directly to the car and have someone remotely flash it.
That would be awesome. But you did answer my question. I'm just looking for someone that does it. That will take some time to go through resellers on the website and find one to send me a tune. I have emailed steeda already and hope they tell me yay or nay. Emailed another a little closer to me too. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That would be awesome. But you did answer my question. I'm just looking for someone that does it. That will take some time to go through resellers on the website and find one to send me a tune. I have emailed steeda already and hope they tell me yay or nay. Emailed another a little closer to me too. Fingers crossed.
I need a clutch to hold up to at least 500hp. Any suggestions?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts