Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the alternator completely unbolted and disconnected. It moves freely, but there is so much stuff in the way I cant lift it out of the engine bay. Is there anyway to do this without lifting the engine with a jack? I would, but my jack got stolen and I only have the lil tire swap scissor jack right now dont think that would work. The main things in the way are the fuel evap lines and some kind of metal tab part on the engine.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got it. Didnt need to do anything special just sorta pressed it real hard towards the dash and wiggled it a lot. pain in the ass, but doable this way. My fingers are all cut up :( I'll write a more detailed explanation later so anyone who comes across this years later might get help.

· Registered
2003 SE Wagon, 2.0 ztec, AT.
6 Posts
I got the alternator completely unbolted and disconnected. It moves freely, but there is so much stuff in the way I cant lift it out of the engine bay. Is there anyway to do this without lifting the engine with a jack? I would, but my jack got stolen and I only have the lil tire swap scissor jack right now dont think that would work. The main things in the way are the fuel evap lines and some kind of metal tab part on the engine.
I changed the alternator in my 2003 ZTEC and what ended up doing is taking the passenger side motor mount completely out putting a jack and supporting up the engine and pulling the engine as far forward as I kid towards the radiator and I had approximately 8th of an inch to spare of room to get it out of there and it has to come out pulley first It won't come out backwards I don't know why

· Registered
2003 SE Wagon, 2.0 ztec, AT.
6 Posts
I changed the alternator in my 2003 ZTEC and what ended up doing is taking the passenger side motor mount completely out putting a jack and supporting up the engine and pulling the engine as far forward as I kid towards the radiator and I had approximately 8th of an inch to spare of room to get it out of there and it has to come out pulley first It won't come out backwards I don't know why
I will save by far the hardest alternator I have ever changed and I I have had to date being the old man of damn I have had 163 different cars and I probably put alternators in half of them and none of them were like this Ford focus

1 - 4 of 4 Posts