Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any aftermarket brake pads/rotors for the 05 focus??? i need some good stopping power and the stock isnt that great now that ive worn em out

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can buy SVT or '05 ST model calipers and rotors and upgrade to 300mm SVT front brakes. The factory '05 knuckles will work with these parts.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there's no 05 brake pads/rotors out tho?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome.......they already have them listed on their site. are they a pretty reputable company?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've got 17,000 and i deliver pizza...so constant stop and going, and when i drive for fun i drive it very hard...... curvy roads going 60-90 mph...yea you'll get some brake fade

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I run them on the race car and love them. I ran them on the Focus for track days and they are great. Great to deal with too. You will have to call to place an order and you will either talk to Larry or Matt both good guys.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
awesome.......they already have them listed on their site. are they a pretty reputable company?
Excelent company with excelent people. Half the reason most of us East coast track rats switched to Carbotech is because of how good their people are. The other half of the reason is because they're brake compounds are excelent.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
You can buy SVT or '05 ST model calipers and rotors and upgrade to 300mm SVT front brakes. The factory '05 knuckles will work with these parts.
I thought the ST already had the SVT front rotors and calipers. I could have sworn the ST rotors were 300MM.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I thought the ST already had the SVT front rotors and calipers. I could have sworn the ST rotors were 300MM.
They are. I am saying that either SVT or ST model components can be used because they are the same.

·
Banned
20 Posts
They are. I am saying that either SVT or ST model components can be used because they are the same.
All 2005 Focuses have 300mm front disc brakes the ST only is diffrent that it has rear disc, which is still optional on all other models, the ST isnt special in brakeing minus having standard 4 wheel discs.
Also ST front calipers are no bigger/better than any other 05's as well. AnySVT brake part disk or pad wise will fit an 05 with little issue

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
All 2005 Focuses have 300mm front disc brakes the ST only is diffrent that it has rear disc, which is still optional on all other models, the ST isnt special in brakeing minus having standard 4 wheel discs.
Also ST front calipers are no bigger/better than any other 05's as well. AnySVT brake part disk or pad wise will fit an 05 with little issue
Incorrect. If all '05 Foci have SVT brakes then how can they sell them with 15" wheels? We know that there are no 15" OEM (and VERY few aftermarket) rims that clear the SVT brakes.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I'm sorry I read your post wrong. You are correct.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Incorrect. If all '05 Foci have SVT brakes then how can they sell them with 15" wheels? We know that there are no 15" OEM (and VERY few aftermarket) rims that clear the SVT brakes.
I didn't think that was right. I thought the ST has different brakes. You can just look at them and see the difference in size.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
OK, so the quick and easy test would be to try and fit a 15" OEM wheel on the front of an ST.

All I can say with remote certainty after searching:
--They changed the front brakes on all Foci in '05.
--All of the '05 Foci appear to have SVT calipers. Whether they are the exact same calipers may have been verified but I can't find the thread.
--The rotor on all '05 Foci appears to be larger in diameter than previous years.
--All '05 Foci appear to use SVTF knuckles. Again, might be slightly different or a different part number.
--The spare in an '05 ST is a 15" wheel and TireRack lists 15" wheels as "approved 15" "Winter" wheels" for the ST.

Let's see if we can put this to bed. I searched and couldn't really find any conclusive information.

What needs to be verified:
--What is the rotor size on '05 non-ST Foci? Diameter and thickness?
--What is the rotor size on '05 ST Foci? Diameter and thickness?
--Is the caliper the same on all Foci in question?
--Are the brake pads interchangeable between all Foci in question?
--Is the knuckle on an '05 Focus the same as on the SVTF?
--Is the knuckle on an '05 non-ST Focus the same as on an '05 ST Focus.
--Are the mounting brackets different?
--Hubs?
--Any other conclusive info anybody might have?

And lastly, what is required to get these brakes, if they're larger and do fit inside a 15" wheel, onto an 00+ Focus.

Pretty sad we call ourselves Focus Enthusiasts and haven't really figured this out yet. That is, unless I missed the thread. Especially since we first noticed these brakes about 1 year ago when the 05's begun showing up on dealer lots: Linky

·
Banned
20 Posts
I was correct in my statement the 2005 Focus ALL OF THEM INCLUDING ST have 300MM rotors of the same thickness and width 300mm. I have the dealer trainign guide which list all the info on the viechles. It doesnt say the ST has bigger brakes it says all 05 models S,SE,SES,ST have "new larger 300MM front brake discs an improvment of 27% over older models" It doesn't mention either the width of the disc on ST or S,SE,SES (it does say there ventilated though)nor does it mention weather any part of it is from the SVT.

HOWEVER I work at a local Ford dealer and there are several 05's S, SE, SES and ST's on the lot. I went out and eyeballed the front brakes on them all and they are uniform in size 300mm, and width which ill have to measure. The dealer training guide says the only performance diffrence in the ST and the other 05's is 2.3L engine, SVT shocks and struts but not springs, A rear sway bar, "performance tuned" exaust, ST unique spoiler and 16" ST wheels. A SVT was traded in yesterday so if I catch a break ill go out there and pull off the brakes on the SVT my Focus ZX3 S and the ST and see what parts look interhcangable and try the pads on the 05's.

I was however told by the mechanics in service that the brake pad, and disk part no's are the same for all 05 focuses as SVT pat no's. I was also informed that the reason the 05's dont seem to have such a stunnig brake pedal feel is that they ajusted pedal pressure in the cars to reduce wear and break dust. Ill ask some of our techs about the other question if they cant be anwered by me taking apart the brakes of all the cars. Ill also grab an old 01 15" and see if it fits on the 05, I know the 15" hubcaps will because they come standard.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
05STZX3, Great info. Look forward to any more information you may have.

FYI - Went to the www.batinc.net site and they list the rotor sizes for all but the '05. Just for reference:

'00-'04(standard Focus) front: 258 x 22 mm
'00-'04(standard Focus) rear: 253 x 11 m
SVT front: 300 x 24 mm
SVT rear: 278 x 11 mm

Now, what makes things really confusing is that we've been lead to believe all along ever since shortly after the SVT came out that an OEM 15" wheel will not fit over the SVT brakes. But now it appears that the '05's have SVT 'sized' front rotors yet will fit 15" wheels. Steelies none the less...

That leads me to believe that something has to have changed. What changed? I don't know. Maybe Ford re-designed the wheels to be able to fit over the brakes. Maybe the caliper was re-designed to give more clearance (although it may look the same upon visual inspection) yet still uses the same brake pads?

Anyway, if you can do that wheel test, and a 15" wheel fits over the 300mm '05 brakes, I ton of us track rats will be looking for parts ASAP.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Front disc:
-2005 Focus ZX3 S was 278mmx25.5mm (no abs)
-2005 Focus ZX3 SE was 278mmx25.5 (abs)
-2005 Focus ST was 280mmx25.5mm (abs)
-2004 Focus ZX3 SVT Euro was 300mmx24 (abs)
-2003 Focus ZX5 SVT was 300mmx24 (abs)

The brake caliper are the same size.

The tire fit test:

-----------16" Ford stock 05 ST rims

Fit:
2005 Focus S, SE, SES, ST
2002-2004 Focus SVT Zx3, ZX5
2000-2004 Ford Focus ZX3, ZX5, ZTS, ZTW

Will not fit on:
None, works with all 3 cars SVT normal 00-04 and 05's

------------15" Ford steel wheels from a 2005 Focus ZX3 S

Fit:

Will not fit on:

------------2005 Focus ZX3 S spare tire 15"

Fit:

Will not fit on:

-----------Ford 15" Stock ZX3 wheels(split spoke 5 star design)200-2004

Fit:
2000-2004 Focus ZX3, ZX5, ZTW, ZTS

Will not fit on:
2002-2004 SVT Focus ZX3, ZX5

----------2000-2004 ZX3 spare tire

Fit:

Will not fit on:
Fits all same spare as 2005's

------------2000-2005 "Wagon or SE(sport 05) wheels

Fit:

Will not fit on:
Fits all

Explination Wheels: The 2000-2004 split 5 spoke wheels will not fit because they hit right up against the caliper of the front brakes hance once bolted on cant move, The same result with the steelie from an 00-04 Focus. The spare on the 2005 is buldged out in the middle part of the steely to allow more clearence of the bigger caliper on the car which explains why it fit not only the 05 but the SVT as well, it also had plenty of clearence on the 00-04 Foci cuz its the same spare.

Explanation Brakes: The ST and all 05's had the same front brake. The brake pads on a SVT focus WILL fit a 2005 and the 2005's will fit the SVT. The calipers are relativly the same width, diameter and length(with arc) they will swap from what I could see(I didnt remove the caliper) but I did do a little bit of eyeballing and they look to be identical both having the same shape design and twin piston set up.

The brakes on the 05 to my conclusion are not svt calipers, pads,or rotors.

2001 Focus SE wagon (notice how small the disk/caliper looks

Clearence is plenty on the stock 00-04 foci brakes

Same rims(identical I measured them to be sure) on an 2005 Focus

Clearence on an 2005 Focus with SE rim (lil tight but works)

My test involved swithcing all the wheels and tire onto an 2004 SVT focus and my 2005 Focus ZX3 S sence the ST brakes are the same as all other 05's. I put each tire on tried to move the car and all where fine but the obviose which would be the 15" split 5 spoke wheel which rubs on the caliper on the spoke part not the top of the rim where you think it would hit. So that explains alot.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts