Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I am Teds custom title. Not anything like the one
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,here is my situation...
the balance of my car is about to be paid off (6700) and i have the option on keepin my zx3 and paying down some of my bills to free up some $$ then in about a yr buy a car...which would be an '05 OrangeBlast SRT-4 Stage 1 w/ Sunroof(24K)..or my car get the - equity paid off so i only owe what the car is worth(3450) and then trade it in on an 03 SVTF Sonic blue with HID's and Sunroof with 44k mi on it(13k).. and take 1500 and pay down some of my bills...my payment on the SVTF wouldnt go up much/at all from what im paying a month now(276) as apposed to the SRT which would be high 300's low 400 a month payments.. and insurance on the SVT i think will go up to $214 a month compared to $232 that i was quoted on(my current insurance is $203)..i dont know what to do.. i need some opinions to help me here... the SVTF is at a buy here die here place and the SRT would be straight from dodge brand new..

so.. should i wait and get the SRT w/ S1 or get the SVTF Soon,like in a week or so soon..???

Ted

·
Registered
466 Posts
you can go fast or get the all around performance. Just drive both of them and decide wich one you like better. The only thing I don;t like about the neons is the power windows in the front and the manual windows in the back. I drove one and they pull hard. But the body roll is like a bus. But in the end it comes down to wich one you like better.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just go and drive them both, in the end you'll pick the one you like more
Buying straight from the dealership is a way better idea than a shady "buy here, pay here" also... I would take the SVTF to a mechaninic and have it looked up and down, plus get a carfax....

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
^^^^^

Agreed.

Pay the bills down and wait. By next year there will be a whole slew of new things to drool over, those cars you are looking at now will be a year older and cheaper.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
You want ho'powah or handling?

You want brute force and anime styling or good looks and efficiency?

The Focus will always be in a class by itself.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
^^^^^

Agreed.

Pay the bills down and wait. By next year there will be a whole slew of new things to drool over, those cars you are looking at now will be a year older and cheaper.
second that...no matter what, cars will always evolve and impress everyyear, and [censored] if not, u can always buy a cheap old one for a build up...

think bout it, its better to be slow and have a future of options than to be fast and have bills tieing u down to look foward too

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
you can go fast or get the all around performance. Just drive both of them and decide wich one you like better. The only thing I don;t like about the neons is the power windows in the front and the manual windows in the back. I drove one and they pull hard. But the body roll is like a bus. But in the end it comes down to wich one you like better.
Kinda go with this guy, SVTF is out of production. There are no more coming so like the 04 Cobra they seem to be streanthing in the secondary market. Could/should depreciate less the the SRT-4.

My Chief instructor has a modded SRT-4 and after about 3k in mods it handles very well (like the stock SVT). Watch for it in "Overrev mag"

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm biased so take this with a grain of salt.

I have the SVTF and it is hands down the best compact car that I've ever owned. Some people have reported lots of issues, but I have had negligible trouble with it in the year that I've had it (not any more than any other vehicle I have owned). I'm very happy with the fit and finish of this car.

I love the handling more than anything else, it just feels very taut and I feel connected to the road. With my Steeda shifter and the FS tune the car really feels fast. With all of that said, I would still like more power from it. With the SVTF that is easy, but expensive.

From what I know of the SRT-4's they had some issues when they were first released, but they've resolved most of them now. The car feels very cheap interior wise to me (neons always have) and I don't like it. The boost guage seems like a bad aftermarket install.

With all that said, if you want to go fast in a compact car, the SRT-4 is an easy way to do it. Really fast stock and wicked fast with a few 'factory' upgrades. Dodge really stepped up to the plate for this car.

To be honest the neon wasn't even an option for me when I bought my car, but when I went to look at them with Ducman69 I was not impressed. I was especially not impressed when a new SRT-4 on the dealer lot screeched and rattled like the turbo was going out when we started it.

For me, the interior and driving dymanics of the SVTF really hit the spot
I still miss both of my Mustang GT's though.

I'd recommend that you get the SVTF, pay the bills down, then save up and buy a Powerworks blower (maybe a Vortech or turbo kit). You can have your cake and eat it too.

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts
insurance will be uber insane on srt 4 so i hear. keep what you have or go with the svt.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i think everybody would agree that they are asking a little too much for that SVTF. If you do decide to get a SVT i would look around a little more, because better deals are out there.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Put in a SVT suspension kit. Bank your monthly payments and save for something better than any of those.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I own both and they're great cars with different personalities. Take a look at and drive them both. If you're looking at a used SVTF get a CarFax and take the VIN to a dealer's service department. That way you can see if it was in the shop a lot or relatively reliable.

And BTW, the current SRT-4 production stops this fall. A possible EVO-based replacement based on the upcoming Dodge Caliber may be out for '07. If you wait a year, you won't be able to get a new SRT-4 for a while.

If you've got any specific questions or how things compare between both cars, let me know.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
They are both hopped up versions of their respective base economy cars, but in different ways. With Dodge, they spent just about every penny slapping on go-fast parts. Its quick (well very quick actually), but just as cheap looking as a base Neon, which isn't a class leader in that respect to start with. The SVT takes the base Focus but adds both luxury (well niceness) and performance. Its less focused (hah) and more well rounded.

So it really depends on what you are looking for. SRT-4s main attraction is its turbo powerplant, but its a good attraction! Its actually quite underrated and you have an LSD from the factory.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I would always recommend that you buy used or keep your current car unless you can put a sizable chunk down on the SRT-4 because the coolest car is no fun when the payment and insurance are killing you financially. As sweet as the SRT-4 is, its a compact car in full factory production which means that a brand new one is going to depreciate like mad. It'd probably be two years @ $400/month before you could sell or trade and even brake even. Just my two cents...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts