Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
\'05 ZXW for \'05 ST - even trade at dealer - should I do it?

Hi folks, need your opinions here. My wife and I bought a base model ZXW in February, automatic. We also just picked up a used Escape XLT V6 with 4 wheel drive recently really cheap, and neither one of us drives the wagon much.
Which got me to thinking...And searching the internet...
I had an '02 SVT Focus that I traded on the wagon - it was going to be the family hauler for my wife to drive. But now that she has the Escape, I've almost talked her into letting me trade the wagon in on something with a manny tranny for myself.
So, there's a dealer not too far from home who has an '05 ST in liquid grey with a sunroof, and about 23,000 km on it - that's about 14,000 miles.
I didn't even have to negotiate - they said they'd take the wagon as an EVEN trade. A base model wagon, with no options except the automatic. It does have half the mileage (7K miles), but who cares, right?

Here's the rub - a friend at a dealership ran the VIN on the ST through OASIS and turned up 1 major warranty repair that leads me to think that the ST was driven with a heavy, heavy foot.

At about 12K miles, oil was found on the air filter, and the mass airflow sensor and entire intake manifold were changed.

What do you folks think? Could this be a car to stay away from? Would this be a deal that you would go for??

Even trade. No money out of pocket. Just drive over, drop off the ZXW, pick up the ST.

Awfully tempting...

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Re: \'05 ZXW for \'05 ST - even trade at dealer - should I do it?

I'd say do it, and make sure you have the info on the major warranty repair you mentioned. And if it happens again, be sure to have that info so you can either get it fixed or turn it in as a lemon.

It's a good trade, straight up, no cash out of pocket, go for the ST.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts

I've never heard of that happening to a Duratec because of abuse. Sounds like a simple manufacturing problem. I would go for it. Worst case scenario, the problem returns. When that happens on a Duratec, they replace the whole engine.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts

Here's the rub - a friend at a dealership ran the VIN on the ST through OASIS and turned up 1 major warranty repair that leads me to think that the ST was driven with a heavy, heavy foot.

At about 12K miles, oil was found on the air filter, and the mass airflow sensor and entire intake manifold were changed.

What do you folks think? Could this be a car to stay away from? Would this be a deal that you would go for??

Even trade. No money out of pocket. Just drive over, drop off the ZXW, pick up the ST.

Awfully tempting...
Tempting yes I agree but before you seal the deal maybe they have a brand new 05 Focus ZX4 ST and you can get the Ford Family Plan which also includes any rebates and incentives so that could be another option to look at too.
If not I can't really see a problem with the one they want to do an even trade with you since it was already repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts

I'm going to guess the Family Plan is not in Canada.

As tempting as it may be, I'd steer clear of this particular ST.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts