Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run 15.00, what should be my next mod. I'm debating on cam gears or finishin the exhaust(off road pipe and flexpipe). Any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
It can be done.

But an offroad pipe is not the way

Intake Work:
CAI -> TB -> Cams.

Exhaust work
Race Header -> Flexpipe -> Catback

Other:
UDP, ported head (maybe), MAF

[ 02-07-2003, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]

·
Registered
256 Posts
Do you think 15 flat is possible without aftermarket cams?

If you went with a high flo cat along with the rest of the listed mods from your suggestion post what do you think?

·
Registered
847 Posts
If you can run a 15.4 with what you've got...adding a high flow cat, flex-pipe, and cam gears (tuned, of course) should definitely let you run a 15.0!

·
Registered
482 Posts
i think it can be done using stock cams. when i put in my crower stage 1 cams my car went from 15.8's to 16.2s ... so go figure. naturally i have removed them and went back to stock. try shedding some weight tastefully, say 100-200 lbs or so and see how it does. very nice time by the way! keep up the good work

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
you'd be limiting yourself if you did not use aftermarket cams and you wanted to run N/A.

Weight reduction does wonders.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The back is gutted except for acouple little things. I don't want a high flow cat because mine is gutted and we don't have emissions here. I was just thinkin about exhaust not flowing because of the gutted cat. I've already priced out everything I would need for cams, just not ready yet. I want to run 15.0 with basci bolt-ons, I want to know if the ORP would be better than the gutted cat, and I want to change the flexpipe to match the exhaust.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
u can do 14.99 w/not much work. yes gutted cats r a no-no, keep it 4 sniffer test. get somethin 2 replace it. a flex is good 2. get as many bolt-ons as u can, take back seat out or just the spares at the track. nothing else. tune it all up at the dyno ,and lookin at ur 60's just go 4 it. it can b done on stock cams. what tires and launch tactics (includin burnout if any) r u usin, i'm curious. go 4 it man. u can do it. i should know lol

-Ult

[ 02-07-2003, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
91 Posts
Shiva Chaos- why wouldn't an off-road pipe be the way? I am curious?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I had the emissions tests here I would use a hi flow cat, but I don't. The tires I'm using are dunlop touring tires 195/60/15 launching about 3500-4000. For the burnout I just pull around the water box and launch one good time to clean the tires. Other than that my hatch area is gutted except for seat brackets and panels.
I think I'm gonna go for the exhaust at first, than mess with cams and gears when I have a little more cash. Before I get anything else done I'm gonna get some dyno pulls then go from there. I'llpost it when I get it done.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by speed#7:
Shiva Chaos- why wouldn't an off-road pipe be the way? I am curious?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well, it's like you have a header and then an offroad pipe. then a flexpipe.

If you were going to go that route, you might as well go raceheader since you got rid of the cat.

It's not *bad* but it's just that there's more potential if you go race header.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would get a race header, but I'm ona super tight budget. I got the street header for a good price, I know the race header would work real well. We'll just see what happens, if the header I have doesn't make me happy then I'll get the race header.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
It can be done.

But an offroad pipe is not the way

Intake Work:
CAI -> TB -> Cams.

Exhaust work
Race Header -> Flexpipe -> Catback

Other:
UDP, ported head (maybe), MAF
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">but wouldn't you agree that he should work from the outside in? (exhaust side being catback, flex, race header as opposed to the order you have listed)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts