Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you want to see one come to Tom's shop on thursday the 28th and check it out. Cory's (mycannon) fully built motor sprayin a 150 shot for the first time will be tuned on the dyno. Come on out and see this. If you can't come don't worry, we should have it on video......Russell

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
What does full built motor mean?
I would like to know how you tune for a 150 shot. I Have the msd dis 2 box and still need a chip, i would love to spray 150 safely so please keep me informed on what else i would need to get to the 150 mark.

I am currently spraying 50 wet, with no timing retard yet, waiting on the tach adapatar from msd.
Best i ran with 50 is 15.01 at 91.60 also it was 100 degrees in kc when i ran it.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
If you want to see one come to Tom's shop on thursday the 28th and check it out. Cory's (mycannon) fully built motor sprayin a 150 shot for the first time will be tuned on the dyno. Come on out and see this. If you can't come don't worry, we should have it on video......Russell
Damnit! Why couldnt it be saturday! I'm going to drive 16hrs down to check out his shop saturday.

Ha, actually I'm visiting my brother and tom in the same fell swoop.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
should do bout what justin's did, considerin its his n2o setup cannon bought....nonetheless, good luck... we wait 2 hear

-Ult
if it does what Justin's did........

lets just hope not
that would suck major bum

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
should do bout what justin's did, considerin its his n2o setup cannon bought....nonetheless, good luck... we wait 2 hear

-Ult
Justin never used this kit. We will let you all know tomorrow.....Russell

·
Registered
170 Posts
Aw man, you should have posted this in the Carolina's forum, I would have rode down to check it out! Oh well. How did it do by the way?

EDIT: Sorry, I just saw that you did post it, my mistake. Sorry I missed it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well melted 3 of the 4 sparkplugs
and back fired blew the intake of the throttle body
. Now the head is of the car and will replace it tomorrow
. The reason why we took the head off is because it was knocking and Tom told us to pull the head and we found the end of one of the sparkplugs inside that knocking inside. By the way we removed all the nitrous because Cory is done with nitrous.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Questions:

How much timing was pulled out?
At what RPM did things go wrong?
Did you check all the fittings to make sure that you didnt have any leaks? (mainly fuel)
What reasons is Tom giving for the failure?
Why give up on nitrous just because of this? (even though I did the same thing)

At least you werent the first one this happened to on Toms Dyno (me) I'm sorry to hear about that though man. Really sucks ass.

·
Registered
744 Posts
not to sound like a dick but its not the nitrous...its the shop who tuned your car, or tried to
Not to defend anyone... but I don't recall anyone asking if it was Tom's fault... Last I read... the questions were What rpms... what did Tom say...etc.... can't we all just friggin' get along?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
get along? who is not getting along

sorry mr moderator wanna be...didn't want to start [censored]

just wanted the guy to possibly reconsider dumping the project just because of this experience and hopefully people reading this thread won't get the idea in their mind that it cant be done or even worse, jump on the "nitrous blows motor" bandwagon

I've had nitrous, jrsc, and a turbo all on my focus at one point and had my car tuned by tom...i *think* I can make a post in this forum without someone jumping on me

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Questions:

Did you check all the fittings to make sure that you didnt have any leaks? (mainly fuel)

At least you werent the first one this happened to on Toms Dyno (me) I'm sorry to hear about that though man. Really sucks ass.
Pulled out 8 degress across the board to be safe.
It happend about 4500 rpms he only sprayed for a total of 250 rpms before he let out of it.
We think that the installation of the fuel lines cause it to not get enough fuel.
Cory is just over with it, the car made 171hp and 136tq with out nitrous, so the car will still be fast.

Just some FYI for everyone the engine is not blown. Tom who was driving the car on the dyno noticed something was wrong and let out of it right away. Luckly with his experience he shut it off quick enough and it didn't cause damage to the motor other then melting 3 of the 4 sparkplugs.

We took the head off and put it back on and redyno'd it and still made the same power NA. We will post pics of the plugs later.......Russell

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Questions:

Pulled out 8 degress across the board to be safe.
It happend about 4500 rpms he only sprayed for a total of 250 rpms before he let out of it.
We think that the installation of the fuel lines cause it to not get enough fuel.
Cory is just over with it, the car made 171hp and 136tq with out nitrous, so the car will still be fast.

Just some FYI for everyone the engine is not blown. Tom who was driving the car on the dyno noticed something was wrong and let out of it right away. Luckly with his experience he shut it off quick enough and it didn't cause damage to the motor other then melting 3 of the 4 sparkplugs.

We took the head off and put it back on and redyno'd it and still made the same power NA. We will post pics of the plugs later.......Russell
I KNEW IT!!! When you posted the pics of the install, I noticed that one of the fuel line fittings wasnt seated properly against the nozzle. I even told Aaron (econorocket) about it and he said the same thing. I wish I would have mentioned it to you now. Chit man, I'm sorry. But I am very glad to hear that your car is fine. Wish mine would have been fine after my trip to Tom. But as it was already stated, the things that went wrong on our cars were not caused by Tom. I just think that Nitrous is very picky about when it wants to werk properly. I guess we can just learn from this and try to make sure that EVERYTHING is perfect when it comes to nitrous.

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
not to sound like a dick but its not the nitrous...its the shop who tuned your car, or tried to
If there was a problem it could of been cured with a trip here to tune it but you didnt want to do that,,I told you like i do every one mail order chips are a pain in the butt and i do not guarantee it can be done we have tuned over 50 Focus in the dyno with only 2 failures both big nitrous

I tune mustangs doing over 6 and 700 HP on nitrous and have no issues doing it i know what it takes and how it works

With doing 440HP at the wheels on stock cams and stock computer TRUenemyOO i think we know how to tune

I am sorry your chip wasent what you wanted but im sure no one else did any better , all you had to do was come here it it would of been fixed

Tom

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
The chip not what I wanted?

Hows this for starters...

with a jrsc on my car wanting to increase the boost...I ask you if I could use a Lightning MAF programed for 42s...you say yes. I buy one and order a chip. I wait 1.5 months for my chip. I get it, the car detonates heavily, I have to send it back
You tell me to sell the maf and buy one from you so I do. I wait 3 months total for that maf. After 1 month you say its sent. I wait two weeks and you say it was a different Erik you sent it to and you didnt have one for me...still waiting and waiting and waiting

I say screw it and sell the jrsc for a aerocharger. I have you burn the chip for the turbo before you sent it back with the maf. When I finally get it it detonates. You tell me to have it tuned in North carolina...

Then mike says he'll be in the area so I plan to meet with him. I wait 1.5months to meet with him. Pay him another $100 and he tunes the car on the wideband and laptop. All is great...for 2 days when it starts detonating again at 10psi. I told you it was and you told me I couldnt run more than 8psi on 93. I lower it to 8...when it still detonates you tell me to lower it to 7 so I do. It stops detonating.

When I ask you why P51 can run 7 non intercooled with no problems and Chris F can run 10-11psi 200+whp with no problems you call them lyers and say that its not true...I think your exact word were "I'll call their [censored]"

I then go on to tell you that from the info I've gathered, I just need to be running richer..something like 11-11.5/1 instead of the 12.5/1 you had it set at. You went on to tell me that it will blow my motor at 11/1 because being that rich is as bad as being rich.

Then I finally convice mike to send me a chip with an 11.5/1 fuel ratio but he wants more money to do the reburn...so thats $130 plsu the cost of the chip I've spent on the chip and the car still doesnt run right. He says i'll have it in a week. 2 weeks go by, nothing...I email him and he tells me he is out of chip and it'll be about a month until I can get one. I wait a couple more weeks, get fed up and sell the turbo kit.

So please, dont try and pretend like the chip is not what I wanted...I jsut wanted a decent running car and the kicker of the whole story is how you just kept saying i had to lower the boost and run race gas. If you would have simply admited you didnt know why it was detonating and tried making it richer that would have been fine but you just kept insisting I wcouldnt run that much boost with the aerocharger and I had to mix in race gas. You say you tune the car to be safe? Well the 9 degrees timing you had my car set at was safe, I guess except for the crazy egts it must have made...but 12.5/1 a/f safe? What a joke

I'm willing to bet that 80% of the people who have had personal experience with you have experienced similar things I've typed above...
You want more evidence, just ask because i've been in contact with MANY people who have had their car tuned with you, both on your dyno and through the mail and have plenty of other stories that back up what I'm saying but I'd rather leave other people out of it

keep on holding to the high horsepower you put out on the dyno on your car because it seems thats all you have to back it up

edit: wow, what a surprise, as I tpyed this someone posted wondering "where the hell is their chip"

this thread

1 - 20 of 41 Posts