Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, its my time to shine, for a bit at least...here it is, a few runs, a few explanations and a few tips on WHY PEAK NUMBERS don't mean ****...

dynoes done on a dynojet 248...dyno ive been always using, i totally forgot to put a layover over my old dyno of 143whp...the gains are so cool...

Made on 91octane, 100 octane probably would have showed a few more ponies, but i didnt have any at the time

Only took it up to about 6600rpm, because i am too worried about the a/f i think its making such good numbers because its running really lean, great for power, dangerous for reliability
First, the best dyno, all out, super prepped. NO filter, cooled and iced off, fairly good temperatures outside, about 70*, engine cooled down, cam gears at -3,0. I know...im a bit shocked too, stock injectors but i pulled the chip, which kept leaning it out past 5000rpm really bad...here she is:

( all pictures were taken with a camera, not scanned so its a bit hard to see...i tried to crop it as well as i could to get the most of the graph on there to see better)

************ 166.1whp * 147ft/lb ***************

next is a great comparison, that even though the peak numbers are close, and it seems as if i should keep the one with a bit more topend for street use...check out the HUGE gains in torque and hp from 3000-5000rpm about 15-20ft/lb of torque, and 8-9whp...thats the one im keeping for the street, the car pulls GREAT on the freeway, ask tuan...

the only difference is cams at 0,0 and +2,0, the +2 on the intake cam gave me GREAT gains from 3000-5000rpm on the dyno, both made about 162.7-163whp, but the +2 made huge gains up to 5000rpm, and only lost like 1 hp up top for 1000rpms...im keeping the +2 settings for the street

and finally a comparison of the following 3 settings, 0,0 / -2,0 / +2,0 and as the higher the intake cam was advanced, the larger the power down low, as you can obveously see even if its fuzzy, im gonna scan them at work for better resolution

also dynoed the chip, and as expected, i gained 5-6ft/lb of torque from about 2000-4500rpm...nothing much on the top end, but great for drivability...

I got a bunch more, but the quality sux, im gonna wait tilll i get to work

MODS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

Iceman intake upper pipe
PROFLOW mafs(stock injector calib.)
3.5" custom intake tubing down to bumper scoops
AFE cone filter(huge, for a lightning
)
FC TB
FC 3 piece pulleys
FC race header
FC cam gears
Crower stage 2 cams
Crower springs and retainers
Head done by Billy from FC
Intake manifold ported by Walter from FC
HKS exhuast(2"
)

STOCK FLEXPIPE

Next step is a SVT header(thicker and longer) and 2.5" exhuast to surely hit 170whp

Can i say i am kind of NA street power for 1 day?

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW, as far as next mods... cant say much yet, but i will promise this, only big power from here on out...whatever it takes, gotta get more power, so stay tuned!

[ 10-13-2002, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
congrats naz!! are you serious you have the stock flex pipe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great explanation. Nice numbers.

Newbie Question: When you say "race headers" are they still street legal? I assume they are so, why are they called race headers? Shouldnt they be modified street headers or someting? Then how would they differentiate between headers/race headers? Lol, I didnt mean to be so questioning, understand what I mean?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
"Can i say i am kind of NA street power for 1 day?"

I suppose....

BTW, I just wanted to point out, that just like my SVT snorkel adaptation to the k&n FIPK, the results from your Intake Ducting won't show on a Dyno, where the car is stationary...

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by XXXZetec:
Great explanation. Nice numbers.

Newbie Question: When you say "race headers" are they still street legal? I assume they are so, why are they called race headers? Shouldnt they be modified street headers or someting? Then how would they differentiate between headers/race headers? Lol, I didnt mean to be so questioning, understand what I mean?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The "Race Header" is longer, and eliminates the cat.

The "Shorty" header is the same length as stock, and can be used w/ the factory OR aftermarket Hi-Flow Cats.
Welcome to the 'Jet!!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
My GOD! Even with 2 peeps in the car custom box in the trunk, pair and jack, WE WERE PULLING HARD ALL THE WAY TO THE REV LIMITER!
Makes my car feel stock. I am gonna be looking for crower stage 2's! I cant believe we were smoking the tires on a first gear roll on. Naz..YOUR CAR IS PIMP

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by tsmithr1:
My GOD! Even with 2 peeps in the car custom box in the trunk, pair and jack, WE WERE PULLING HARD ALL THE WAY TO THE REV LIMITER!
Makes my car feel stock. I am gonna be looking for crower stage 2's! I cant believe we were smoking the tires on a first gear roll on. Naz..YOUR CAR IS PIMP
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">??????????????????????

What are you talking about???

EDIT:
On the THIRD read, I assume you mean you rode in Naz's car????

[ 10-13-2002, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes...stock flexpipe

I KNOW FOR A FACT with a SVT race header(bigger and wider), 2.5" exhuast and flexpipe it will hit 170whp....guess those 2 guys are the ones that should get credit, WALTER and BILY, they really worked hard on that head and intake maniold...i mean those 2 pieces were golden, perfectly done, matched and tested.

Major props go out to those 2 guys.

Im still a bit shocked that it did so well, i guess i just got used to the power, and the fact that im running on heavy 17"s, 200lb of stereo, full interior and all

You guys do the math: 160whp+, 4.06 gears, flywheel and a clutch that holds makes naz a happy boy in the first 3 gears

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by tsmithr1:

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">we drove to the dyno together...and 1st gear roll on smoke show...well, the turbo guys can relate

please guys use edits..i dont want this thread to turn into a back and forth discussion on what people mean

[ 10-13-2002, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

·
Registered
395 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by tsmithr1:

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why are you confused. I'm Tuan. I went with Naz to the dyno. Is it registering now?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Yeah, check my EDIT above.
It sounded from your wording like you were talking about YOUR car.....Which had ZERO relation to the topic at hand.
I figured out what you meant JUST before you posted.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by nazthug:

please guys use edits..i dont want this thread to turn into a back and forth discussion on what people mean
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've got to rib you Naz...
From YOU, this statement is HILARIOUS!!!

No disrespect intended...

OK, Back to the TOPIC of BIG Ponies .....

[ 10-13-2002, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did i mention that the cams, no joke, dont lope much at all, at STOCK IDLE!!!!!!!!

Its really weird, i dont know what crower did, but they sure made an awesome cam

It literaly runs like stock at idle, a bit more valvetrain noise, but idles smooth as ever, with poly tranny mounts too...I LOVE IT

I really couldnt stand a cam that lopes hard for very long, sure its cool, but it gets really annoying...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
nicceee maann!! Is the proflow MAFS you have the one that Mcnews sells? Or is it the one that Focus Central makes?? The one on the FC website? thanks!!

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Hey Naz,
What's up w/ the exhaust??
Last I heard, you had Bosal C/B and IIRC a FS Flex-Pipe...??

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hey Naz,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">no no...I have his Bosal on my car now..so that cant be...

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Naz,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">man...u just cant keep up with me

HKS catback and back to stock flexpipe, waiting to upgrade both to 2.5"

I just really love the look of the HKS so for now, im staying with it, even the HKS is really loud now with the new flow....getting a 28" straight through magnaflow welded in place of the HKS resonator

Already proven not to lose power, but will sure as HELL make it a lot quieter, i want this car as quiet as possible, i would love to get the sound of a stock focus with HKS exhuast, BARELY noticable, super sleeper and sounds just right for the speed

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by FocusOnMyZeTec:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by MichaelXi:
Hey Naz,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">no no...I have his Bosal on my car now..so that cant be...
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Reason?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts