Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any experience with this, is it easy? and is it worth the time and effort? and what exactly will it improve?
Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
I did this on My s-10. It makes your engine run a bit cooler thus giving a little better performance (less heat under the hood, etc.). You may need a chip with this to get the benifits from it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put 170 thermostat in my car (160 previously used on my 5.0 Mustang for years no problem) and half of bottle of Red Line Water Wetter-works great, especially in LA CA on June-September when 110 degree outside.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i think it's great. make sure of your minimum operating temp. if the thermo is below, the car will always think it's in warm up mode. on the zx2 the minimum is 170. i have a 180. pretty much same engine. i think it works great. good idea to install one if you have a udp too.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Originally posted by TRUenemy00:
does anyone have a decent How-To on it?....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sure, this if from the 2002 Service Manual CD:

Removal
</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Drain the cooling system. For additional information, refer to Cooling system Draining, Filling and Bleeding.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Disconnect the coolant hoses and detach the thermostat housing.
</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Remove the thermostat.
</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Remove and discard the O-ring seals.
</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Installation
NOTE: Install new O-ring seals.
NOTE: Install a new thermostat.
NOTE: Make sure to locate the new thermostat into the thermostat housing.

</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Install the thermostat.
</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Install the thermostat housing and reconnect the coolant hoses.
</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Fill the cooling system. For additional information, refer to Cooling system Draining, Filling and Bleeding.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
16 Posts
Order from Focus Central 170 deg thermostat $18 or so. Go to any shop to replace oil. They'll change you thermostat too (O rubber ring used again, no drain radiator). It takes extra 10 min and extra $10.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Originally posted by valeriy davydov:
Order from Focus Central.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You might wanna run and hide

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
[flame suit on]

From what I understand..... all that a 170 deg thermostat does, is open to full flow once the coolant reached 170 degrees. However, our engines run super hot anyway.... so soon enough you'll be running @ 220 degreens and that 170 degree thermostat is as worthless as the stock one.

A thermostat does not keep your engine running cooler. So please don't think that it will.

·
Registered
645 Posts
My FlexLite 12" dual fans do the job!
Dial-a-Temp!

Underhood temps are way down, even with no shield on my big as* log-style turbo mani.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts