Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked my car up from the dealership and it appears to be fixed for now. Although, I have not driven it very much yet.

I kept getting what sounded like an exhaust rattle as the RPMs fell through the 2200-1800 range.

I took it to one dealer about 2 months ago and they adjusted the heat shield. It did the same thing when I picked it up.

It went to another dealer this time. The tech notes say that the rattle was internal on the cat converter. They replaced the converter, bracket, and bolts.

All seems well now.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The tech notes say that the rattle was internal on the cat converter.
no it wasn't....

They replaced the converter, bracket, and bolts.
All seems well now.
but if you needlessly replace all that stuff you will certainly change the resonance pattern and make the rattle change as a side effect. Oh well, as long as you didn't have to pay for the work out of your pocket..

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What ever you say man. All I know is that I have no more rattle, had a loaner as part of SVT warranty, and did not pay a dime out of my pocket. The dealer even picked up the gas that I used in the rental car.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
I am glad that they were finally able to correct the rattle BlackFSVT

·
Banned
147 Posts
The tech notes say that the rattle was internal on the cat converter.
no it wasn't....

Says he took it to the dealer 2 months ago who adjusted the heat shield.

They replaced the converter, bracket, and bolts.
All seems well now.
but if you needlessly replace all that stuff you will certainly change the resonance pattern and make the rattle change as a side effect. Oh well, as long as you didn't have to pay for the work out of your pocket..
I don't see it as 'needless'. The shield was adjusted once, and that fix didn't work. A new dealer took the extra time to change it all out to fix it. Seems like it "could" be a new problem. Maybe the design of the bolts, etc can cause a rattle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts