Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ran my first Xcross and now I am hooked. The SVTF ran really well and was only a sec or 2 behind the STS civics and such. I am thinking I want to bump up to STS since I want to mod the car. What would you guys suggest for my first upgrades? I am also interested to hear from anyone that is also running a SVTF in STS class and what mods you are running. Im running G Stock right now.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
If you're serious about autocross, your first mod should be yourself. Get all the seat time you can, including novice schools at Evolution events. However, I went the same way you're looking, and modded the car first. You really have two choices for a first mod, but neither will automatically bump you into STS.

Tires will give you the best improvement. If you're planning on STS, Falken Azenis RT-215s would be awesome (if you can find a pair), or some other "max performance summer" street tire. They'll probably only last about 15,000 miles, so a second set of autocross-only wheels and tires may be an idea to think about.

Your other option is dampers. Koni is usually considered the best for this sort of thing. Adjustable dampers will allow you to stiffen up your suspension before autocrossing.

P.S.: I'm not an SVT owner, but I run a 2.3 hatchback in STS. It has all the mods in my sig, and (in the hands of a better driver than myself) runs in the upper half of STS, behind the Spec Civics.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. I agree 100%, I know I could have been much smother out there today and know I need work. Tires are on my list. My Conti's were barking today.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Seat time.
Have fun.
More seat time.
Ask the fast guys questions.
More seat time.
Get the fast guys to ride with you.
More seat time.
Look ahead.
More seat time.
Walk the course. Walk the course again and think about break points, where you will be looking, where to accelerate, where to turn.
More seat time.
Remember to breath.

Stick to street tire for your first year of autocrossing. Flipping the conties on the rims will greatly extend their life when the outer edge is worn. You learn more about car control on real tires compared to R compounds.

In STS the focus is at a fairly large disadvantage to the spec civics. The focus has just too much bulk to hang with those light weights. So on this note I would suggest you autocross for at least a year before you think/plan on spending money to maximize a car for autocross. This way you can make more efficient decisions about if/what to do the the Focus.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like sound advice, thanks. I guess ill wear the Conti's to the cords and decide from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts