Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got a 09 focus, n starting to look for a project motor n ideas for it, i wanna keep it n/a, was thinkin about puttin wiseco 10:1 pistons with stage 1 cams, getting header n my sct x3 tuner should be sittin in my mailbox wen i get home, question i have is will i be able to use the stock connecting rod n crank n still have a reliable daily driver, or is this all a bad idea? thanks

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
its already 10:1 really?? i was told that its 8.5:1 stock for the 2.0
They are all 10:1. You could build a cool motor but it will cost you a bunch of money. The best bang for you buck is to go with a turbo setup. It will save you money and give you the power gains you are looking for

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well idk were i heard that about the 8.5 : 1 , thought it was some kinda ford website n now cant find anything about it, execpt for other sites sayin 10:1 so i stand corrected n glad i did have the money to buy them before ( woulda been really disappointed ) but is that turbo kits a direct bolt on kit with no engine mods needed?

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Just check out my signature to see what a FSWerks Stage 2 turbo kit is capable of on a stock motor with stock internals with just a FSWerks 2.5" race exhaust and Exedy stage 1 clutch.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
depending on what turbo you go with, what boost level you are set at and what exhaust system is on the car, you can make anywhere from 200whp-240whp with a 2.0l and anywhere from 210wtq-230wtq. lots of potential with the stock bottom end and room to grow in the future with a built motor and the stage 2 kit. N/A will end up costing more then its worth for power and will be less street able than boost with regards to how smooth it is, how loud it is and how raw it is.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The turbo will give you the best bang for your buck but to be honest I still have dreams of building a nice high comp engine with a ported head
have you thought about NO2 at all?

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
I have a 2.3 will full bolt-ons. It should be making 170-180whp and about 140wtq. Even with a built transmission with shorter gears, etc... the acceleration and driveability doesn't come close to a FS Werks turbo car.

The price difference between my build and the FSW kit would have probably only been about $1000, but it's a bit late for me now. Honestly, if I could do it all over again......I wish I had the FSW kit.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
^ you still can! i did the same thing, then sold all my old parts and bought a used FSW kit. win and win LOL

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
^ you still can! i did the same thing, then sold all my old parts and bought a used FSW kit. win and win LOL
True, but with over 100k and 2 years of track duty I need to baby the ole' girl.

Can I slap you now or later? :lol:

NOS = Nitrous Oxide System, a company that produces nitrous kits. The term "nos" as you used is a fast & furious ricer word.
Also true. :lol:

OP: your best bet for great performance and maintaining a car that can be driven daily is the FSW turboooooo.

If you want less performance (significantly less) then a few breathing mods and a tune could work well also.

·
Registered
253 Posts
ohh I dream of 180whp. when you say driveability tho what do you mean exactly? I assume youve driven in a turbo focus so I ask

I have a 2.3 will full bolt-ons. It should be making 170-180whp and about 140wtq. Even with a built transmission with shorter gears, etc... the acceleration and driveability doesn't come close to a FS Werks turbo car.

The price difference between my build and the FSW kit would have probably only been about $1000, but it's a bit late for me now. Honestly, if I could do it all over again......I wish I had the FSW kit.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I drove my FSWerks turbo'd ZX3 two hours each way to the track last year, beat the hell out of it, run high 12s, and drove it back home with no issues. The car drove to and from the track as smooth as stock yet was outrunning Mustangs and Camaros at the track all weekend long.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
True, but with over 100k and 2 years of track duty I need to baby the ole' girl.
i think ur the baby here haha that motor will take the abuse as long as it isnt burning oil yet and compression is still good. i boosted mine at 100k km's (60k miles) and is about 75k (miles) now and still going strong after a beating, higher then normal boost and tracking.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
i think ur the baby here haha that motor will take the abuse as long as it isnt burning oil yet and compression is still good. i boosted mine at 100k km's (60k miles) and is about 75k (miles) now and still going strong after a beating, higher then normal boost and tracking.
You're probably right. :lol:

By driveability I just mean that it is smooth, doesn't smoke a bunch, easy to drive, etc.... Basically that it feels like the car is stock, but that it just has twice the power. It doesn't buck and kick and stumble, it's factory-like in the calibration and tuning.

If 180whp is good for you then maybe the Stage 1 kit would be perfect. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
^^ they sell the stage 1+2 kits now for the 05-07 foci for 3995 or something, might as well spend a couple 100$ extra for better cooling and higher potential. trust me, you will get 180whp and then want more, and more and more. reason why i shouldn't of bought the best upgrade to the car yet LOL takes a toll on the bank account pretty fast

1 - 20 of 27 Posts