Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

It's been a while since I last posted. I have been studying and trying to figure out which performance mods to get!!! I am losing it. If you guys can help me figure it out, I will sleep better. I intend to build the engine. So... that has caused me the most grief in deciding what parts to get.
I love the Cossie stuff but I can't help but wonder if I can build a comparable set up myself. If you have looked on their website they have bottom end goodies in the works...

My original plan was to get these parts:
K&N aircharger intake
Draxas Header
Borla Exhaust
Now I am considering:
Cossie CAI
Cossie Header
Borla Exhaust

After I/H/E, I was planning on getting Stage 2 cams... Should I pursue mixing and matching parts to do this build or bite the bullet and do the cossie d power? It seems a little aggravating to have to spend $1200.00 for the intake set-up and tune when I can get the same gains with I/H/E and no tune. I am serious about making this D20 bad*ss and would love some help getting there from my fellow jetters!

Stay Tuned,
Damage

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
One thing's for sure about Cossie d-Power: at the moment, there is no other option for an intake manifold. Marcy is working on one, but nothing yet. Also, the Cossie CAI will, in the long run, allow for more power. If you plan on a really high-power setup eventually, you'll need the Cossie or F2, which have removable MAF bottlenecks.

You can definitely make just as much power mix-and-matching as with the d-Power stages, and save a few pennies, too. The real benefit to Cosworth's staged upgrades is that you don't have to worry about what parts to buy. Plus, a lot of people will pay money to say that they have a "Cosworth Stage 2 Focus".

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can alway scount on you to give me 2 cents worth!!!! Thanks.
Yeah, the cossie CAI is a must it seems. I like the Cossie 1&2 and if I add a Borla exhaust to it thats about $2760.00 plus tax. I found a Ford dealer that has Borlas for $358.00. I can pick it up and not pay shipping...woohoo. I didn't want to tick off any sponsors so I didn't post it on here!
But for the sake of discussion...let's say I get the Cossie 1&2. Then what? Do I drop more bones for their bottom end goodies? Rods, pistons, Crank...etc? Or would F2 or Marcy hook me up?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW somebody is gonna get my money...but I am going to expect to be driving a monster....lol I am interest in showing the car too...but this is the first time I have been more concerned with performance. The Zx3 is fun to drive and I have been itching to shut down the ricers we have running around here.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
But for the sake of discussion...let's say I get the Cossie 1&2. Then what? Do I drop more bones for their bottom end goodies? Rods, pistons, Crank...etc? Or would F2 or Marcy hook me up?
I don't think F2 or Marcy have any plans to start making bottom end parts. MM sells bottom end components that other companies make. Everyone pretty much agrees that Cosworth's parts are the most expensive and the highest-quality. But a lot of people think that the cheaper parts are good enough for anything short of a dedicated race engine. Again, the Cosworth parts have a lot of the "bling" factor, like having their name cast onto the side of every connecting rod.

P.S.: that's an awesome price for the Borla. I payed $400 plus shipping for mine, and I thought that was good.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I don't buy it. Even if the 2.0 can rev for another 1,000 rpm, that third of a liter is a displacement advantage that can't be made up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will be fun to see what will be done to these duratechs in the near future! Let's hear more from folks out there about ways to build'em up! Marcy seems to have the lead right now as far as NA gains are concerned....

·
Registered
545 Posts
it think the 2.0 can match the 2.3 for HP no problem...you've seen the hp curve people get out of this motor with big cams right? they're just itchin for that extra few hundred revs.

but then again...there goes your torque...and i like my torque to much.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't buy it. Even if the 2.0 can rev for another 1,000 rpm, that third of a liter is a displacement advantage that can't be made up.
Listen buddy, just cause you have a 2.3, doesn't mean you're special, and it sure as hell doesn't give you the right to kill every bit of hope for the 2.0 to at least keep up with you...

Totally agree with Pitchblack on this, well, and everything else... I personally, would only pay the extra cash for a Cossie part if no one else makes it. I got a nice chunk done to my car so far, and I really enjoy it.. I've spent less then $1150 total on performance mods, more to come, and I'm pretty sure my car will pull harder then a 2.0 with d-power 1, and my tuning still isn't crisp. And if I spent another $1200, pretty sure I'll be faster then a d-power 2 car too...

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Listen buddy, just cause you have a 2.3, doesn't mean you're special, and it sure as hell doesn't give you the right to kill every bit of hope for the 2.0 to at least keep up with you...

Totally agree with Pitchblack on this, well, and everything else... I personally, would only pay the extra cash for a Cossie part if no one else makes it. I got a nice chunk done to my car so far, and I really enjoy it.. I've spent less then $1150 total on performance mods, more to come, and I'm pretty sure my car will pull harder then a 2.0 with d-power 1, and my tuning still isn't crisp. And if I spent another $1200, pretty sure I'll be faster then a d-power 2 car too...
Don't give in to cosworth. Unless you have a lot of money.

·
I'm the 'intellectual' here
4,225 Posts

Don't give in to cosworth. Unless you have a lot of money.
Talking to a very close friend who is a proffesional motor tuner, the D20 should be good to almost 200hp without buying any parts at all. Port, polish, tune, retard the computer a whole lot, etc. (Correction, a good intake, exhaust and chip need to be purchased)

The motor has plenty of un-tapped potential so far.

My plan is to hit 185-200 hp N/A, then turbo at about 8-10 psi. That should get me just over 300hp.

The problem is, you have to dumb the computer down. Right now everyone is saying you can only push 7 or 8 psi without blowing piston rods. The reason that is happening is because the computer is too smart for it's own good.

The way the comuter is right now with turbo over 8psi, the forced induction is pushing the pistons down into the rods too fast, and the computer in the car is not reacting correctly...therefore belt rods.

It will take a few years to get the car done for me though...still in college and working...but it will be damned fast when I'm done.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
My plan is to hit 185-200 hp N/A, then turbo at about 8-10 psi. That should get me just over 300hp.

The problem is, you have to dumb the computer down. Right now everyone is saying you can only push 7 or 8 psi without blowing piston rods. The reason that is happening is because the computer is too smart for it's own good.

The way the comuter is right now with turbo over 8psi, the forced induction is pushing the pistons down into the rods too fast, and the computer in the car is not reacting correctly...therefore belt rods.

It will take a few years to get the car done for me though...still in college and working...but it will be damned fast when I'm done.
Stronger connecting rods will fix this problem. Not tuning. Tuning problems will cause things like detonation. Detonation will destroy our stock cast pistons very very rapidly. So then you need forged pistons to be the safest when tuning is an issue. But with low boost and a proper tune you can be safe.

Get ready for a piston and rod swap if you plan on ruinning more than 6 psi of boost.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Port, polish, tune, retard the computer a whole lot, etc. (Correction, a good intake, exhaust and chip need to be purchased)
What? I would certainly think that a port and polish is among the last things that need doing to a Duratec.

And to all you poor 2.0 drivers, just look at all the good things you've got. It'll sound really cool revving that high, and... uhh... it's lighter...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great discussion guys!
News flash... I ordered my Borla exhaust yesterday and will be getting it within a week!
I read the same thing that the rods can't handle much boost.
And the brainbox for these cars are too smart for their own good.
Wayne with Hypnotic was telling me it took him some time to figure out how to tune them without the computer relearning and wiping out some of the parameters he was setting.
I get the impression from what you guys are saying that mix and matching parts is the most cost effective way to build as long as I have a good tuner... and I do when I am ready!

Intake and Header are the next two items I plan on getting:
Cossie or F2 CAI (or something that can flow more air)

Marcy, Draxas, or Cossie Header
The real question is 5/8 or 7/8 primaries and 02 ports?
I was thinking 7/8 primaries since the car is being built.
And these darned o2 ports, I only want holes in the header that have something useful to plug into them!

It seems that getting the intake and exhaust flow maximized and a good tune should be the first things done before anything else.

Forged rods and pistons sound like a good idea. Also a good port and polish would be nice. I am wondering when would be a good time to do these things? Maybe before purchasing cams?
I wonder if we could put together some examples of set-ups with approximate gains? Or is that too ridiculous to do?
I appreciate you comments and I am learning a few things too!

Many thanks...

·
Registered
296 Posts
And to all you poor 2.0 drivers, just look at all the good things you've got. It'll sound really cool revving that high, and... uhh... it's lighter...
That hurts...

Can't we all just get along..?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I was just kidding. Let's all put aside our differences and think about the things we have in common! At least we're not driving zetecs.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I was just kidding. Let's all put aside our differences and think about the things we have in common! At least we're not driving zetecs.
Yeah really...
I saw a VERY nice looking Zetec ZX3 5-speed at Milan Dragway (in Michigan) today....looked sweet as hell with a body kit and wheels and everything.
Only had an exhaust on it though I think he said.

He ran a 17.7 in the 1/4

I didn't have my car...went with my brother in his '02 Camaro SS....ran a 12.36

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Keep this discussion going guys...
I used to live in Michigan near Pontiac, never went to Milan. I will when I move back next summer!

But seriously, take a look at my post above and comment please. I know alot of Duratech owners could benefit from having a set-up discussion.
I just ordered my Borla and will order a good CAI this week too. I am deciding right now which one to get. I plan on doing as much as possible to get good gains out of my 2.0 before I do anything cosmetic.
I have been reading alot on here and posting a little from time to time.
Any comments on a CAI and Header? Keep in mind that these parts need to be able to flow for more than just bolt ons!

My last post gives more details!

Thanks,
Damage

1 - 20 of 35 Posts