Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference?

I see parts that say they fit the 2.0L DuraTec, but they won't fit the 2.0L ZETEC. Why is this? They are both Ford 2.0L engines, and look virtually the same, so why wouldn't, say, a header or exhaust for a 2.0L DuraTec fit a 2.0L ZETEC and vice versa?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
the exhaust might fit but as far as the header is concerned its on the opposite side of the engine bay so diff. bends also goes for the intake. battery is in a diff location as well.etc....

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
are you blind? they look NOTHING ALIKE! How could you say they look virtually the same?

My fiance as the car IQ of a toddler and can tell the difference.... I don't think anyone should be modding cars if they can't look at the engine bay and say "wow that one is COMPLETELY different from this one"

Seriously... put down the socket wrench and step away.

Those all look the same, right?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Todd you forgot to label them since he thinks they look the same.
1. 2.0L Zetec
2. 2.0L Duratec
3. 2.0L SVT
4. 2.3L Duratec

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are you blind? they look NOTHING ALIKE! How could you say they look virtually the same?

My fiance as the car IQ of a toddler and can tell the difference.... I don't think anyone should be modding cars if they can't look at the engine bay and say "wow that one is COMPLETELY different from this one"

I was talking about a 2.0L DURATEC NOT the 2.3L DuraTec you have in the pic there. You don't even have a 2.0L DuraTec pictured there, you've got a Zetec, SPI, SVT 2.0L, and a 2.3 DuraTec, I don't even see a 2.0L DURATEC there fella!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Uh oh.... I hope our pompous opinionated bastardo grande did not just get e-owned

(I can only recognize one of those engines, the one third from the top, sorry, I will admit it)

Andrew

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yup, the second pic is a 2.0 SPI engine.
I have never seen the 2.0 Duratec engine but i guess it would differ from the SPI and the Zetec and have some apereance to the 2.3 Duratec engine. Do you happen to have a pic of the 2.0 Duratec as it would make it easier... although i guess the engine would have Duratec instead of Zetec.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
This thread makes me laugh...

I think Todd made a pretty valid assumption that on here, a Focus enthusiast website, most of us would be able to identify the different engine configurations. But I guess he was wrong. If you can't tell which is which in those pics, time to start from square one and do some basic research. Plus, one of the main things you can see from the pics is that the 2.0 Zetec (first pic), the 2.0 SPI (2nd pic), and the 2.0 SVT Zetec all have the exhaust exiting from the front of the engine and the air intake on the rear(towards the firewall) of the engine. The Duratec in the last pic obviously has the air intake on the front of the engine and the exhaust on the back. And no, I can't tell if that's a 2.0 or a 2.3 because the differences are mostly internal as far as I know. While I'm sure there are probably some external differences, tt this time, only a small percentage of people would be able to tell which is which just from looking at a pic like that. If even possible.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
i will guaranty that is a 2.3 duratec. its in a pre-05 model focus...thats all you need to know.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I thought the main difference between the 2.0 Duratec and the 2.3 is the cylinder deck height? That's how it gets it's higher displacement. So externally, a 2.0 & 2.3 should be i-freakin-dentical, as far as I know. But that isn't very far.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts

Where is the 2.0 Duratec? Let me go get my 4 year, maybe she knows.

·
That one was just me not paying attention....and s
7,509 Posts
the 2.0 duratec and the 2.3 duratec look pretty much alike, thats the only 2 engines I would a-s-s-ume would get confused. not a ZETEC and a Duratec.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
The point was to show the vastly different appearances.

(and if you can show me a stock off the dealer lot 2.0L Duratec that looks different that a stock off the lot 2.3L Visually... I'll give you a $50 gift certificate to FocusSport. Period.)

Available in the US market.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.