Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i just put on my JBA shorty header and that combined with the 2 inch straight pipe (from the cat) is Just way too loud and a bit too buzzy for my tastes. It was bearable with the stock header. So now i need to get a muffler. Preferably straight through. still not sure if im going with an under the car (middle) type, or a cannister at the rear. But my main question is how big should my new piping be? is 2.5 too big? does it depend on the muffler? any muffler suggestions? i know i can get an HKS Hiper for a pretty good price but unresonated i dont think it would sound very good. I am on a strict budget here, as I was not expecting to have to replace my exhaust. Thanks a bunch.

[ 11-18-2002, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Gutted Hatch ]

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Get the bosal
It has a nice deep tone. but is relatively quiet, almost to quiet for some.
And with the header you got it should still remain quiet without putting you in jail

What's up greg, how you doing man?did you rig up a new intake or do you still have the ghetto one
you gave me a great idea for going to drag races with that set-up you had...definantly gonna try it some time.
anyways good to see your getting rid of that nasty straight thru you had, it sounded horrible like the exhaust i had on before the new one i got, real buzzy and very loud around idle
talk with you later bro

john-

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
doh!
Stay with 2 1/4 inch pipeing...it will be louder if you go with 2 1/2, trust me

·
Registered
15 Posts
yeah 2.25 is prolly ur best bet if ur not runnin a turbo in my oppinion, i raced go karts in the wka for about 8 years and i know that back pressure on small disp. engines is not to good, i mean it wont blow it but its not good, although if u go wit 2.5 it wont be that big a deal either, maybe a back fire here n there, which som folkes like.

oh and i have a kool sayin my dad told me
"in all sports there is usually an object traveling at high speeds, be it a baseball, foot ball, or even the occasional rock, but in racing you are the object."

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats a cool quote. I went with an A'PEXi N1 muffler and ill do the piping in whatever the inlet diameter is (60mm i think???).

·
Registered
406 Posts
2.5 for me. You might want to go with a yodude that"looks" like the HKS. It's cheaper and the HKS has really small diameter piping...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts