Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up y'all? I am here as a current Mazda Protege Owner but am interested in buying a Fusion at the end of the year. Since the 5 speed isn't offered in the V-6, the 2.3 is my only way out. I am wondering what kind of potential the motor has with some basic Modifications. I am probably looking at ECU tuning, exhaust and intake. Possibly a lightened flywheel. What kinf of numbers am I looking at here? I was hoping for 170 whp, but wasnt sure how well this motor reacts to mods. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
The 2.3, as produced in the Focus, responds fairly well to mods, but not that well. Intake, exhaust, and tune may net you 170 horsepower at the flywheel. That's actually very good, as it's a 25 horsepower increase, approximately a 17% increase.

Walter Marcy's Focus, currently the most powerful NA 2.3, is putting down 221 whp, with 160 lb-ft of torque through the entire rev range. We're still trying to find the upper limit for what this engine can do.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don't think you'll quite get 170 (WHP) but there are a couple little things you can do along the way to make that goal easier: balance shaft delete (if it has one), cams, etc...

check watler marcy's thread on his car to get some ideas

·
Registered
193 Posts
Let's be optimistic....with balance shaft delete, intake, exhaust, flex pipe and no 2nd cat and some SCT magic maybe one day we'll crack 170whp.

But for now I'll be happy with 158-162whp with just Intake/Exhaust and Crane Stage 2 cams.

I think 2.3 Liter can put out anywhere between 250-280 flywheel hp, but that is all with major work. Think of it this way, most modern engines can make 100 hp/liter and that is pretty much a mild set-up. 100whp/liter would be a bit more radical.

Of course Honda engines do a great job making 100whp/liter. RSX-S K20 will make over 200whp with basic boltons. I think I've seen as much as 215whp per 2.0 liter, which is 107whp/liter and it only has 11.0:1 compression.

2.3L * 107whp/liter = 245 whp (288 flywheel). Go ahead kick it up a notch, blueprint and balance the engine, work out every little head detail, put some real aggressive cams and timing and you'll be putting out 260+whp @ 8500rpm (if you manage to keep that 160tq all the way till redline). However it won't be easy to drive in stop and go traffic.

I think we are all aiming at 180whp with bolt-ons (intake exhaust, header, cams - if you consider that bolt-on). For 180+ whp you'll need to rebuild the engine, pistons and so on.

I think as people spend more time on R&D we will see better and better numbers. All we can do is keep buying new parts and going to the track and driving well to attract more Duratec crowd.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just like you, I'm from Ca so header and cat delete is out of the question. I am looking for something reliable and still somewhat stock, That is why I chose the mods that I did. What does a stock ST dyno at? I was thinking for the Fusion you have 160 - 12% DTL = 140 whp (approx). Intake, Catback & SCT, 20-25 whp. So yeah, I guess 170 is kinda pushing it. I was hoping that I could run low 16's with it. Not that I'm going to race it, but I do want some sort of power. Now if the Euro focus was coming to the US, this would be a completely different story. By the way, I am also considering a Mazda 3 & 6. (The 6 with a V-6, 5 sp.)

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
RHagel, I'm afraid to break it to you, but almost every mod you can do is illegal if you're in California. Most of the intakes are just as illegal as a race header. However, Cosworth is attempting CARB certification for their Stage 1 kit, which is around 163 horsepower at the flywheel.

Oh, and our 2.3 L Foci can run 15s stock. So low 16s aren't out of the question, even with the Fusion's size disadvantage.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you were to go V6 route I would buy Nissan Altima V6, it doesn't look sexy, but boy it is fast and insurance is cheaper for Altima cause Mazda 6 is "sporty". However, I heard Mazda 6 has awesome suspension, part of the reason it is kicking ass at Speed World Challenge Touring Class.

·
Registered
974 Posts
i have intake,header and exhaust and my best time so far has been a 15.6 which i guess its ok, but next time i go im going to try t take as much weight on the car as possible, peace

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
However, I heard Mazda 6 has awesome suspension, part of the reason it is kicking ass at Speed World Challenge Touring Class.
Bingo.. Fusion belongs on the road course in the twisties not on the 1/4 mile drag strip.
Due to the stiff chassis and superb suspension, the Fusion will beat more powerful cars around the race track that would normally hand the Fusion its butt in the 1/4 mile.

If power is what you want, think Turbo.
That is what we are installing on our 2006 2.3L Fusion SEMA Project Vehicle.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
There's also talk that a Fusion with the V6 and 5-spd may come through as an option eventually. Not sure if you'd be interested in waiting around for that though.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
15 Posts
There's also talk that a Fusion with the V6 and 5-spd may come through as an option eventually. Not sure if you'd be interested in waiting around for that though.

>8^)
ER
There is also talk of SVT involvement with the Fusion.

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
I've got everything you mentioned in the first post minus the reflash. Second cat is maintained. CAI is a very good investment and can be swapped out in approximately 20 minutes during smog time, which won't be for 5 years. I imagine with the ECU, you'll be looking at around 145 hp and tq, but that's dependant on whether its a Monday or Wednesday car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you were to go V6 route I would buy Nissan Altima V6, it doesn't look sexy, but boy it is fast and insurance is cheaper for Altima cause Mazda 6 is "sporty". However, I heard Mazda 6 has awesome suspension, part of the reason it is kicking ass at Speed World Challenge Touring Class.
I know, an intake is just easier to remove. I'm not too worried since most exhaust systems do not remove any cats, they will be street legal. I just think a header would be a pain in the ass to remove once it needs to be smogged. Not to mention it would be a little louder than I prefer. As far as the 1/4 mile times, I'm not concerned about racing, I just want something that is fairly quick and 0-60 & 1/4 are always a fairly accurate way of judging. I think my benchmark would be a Mazda 3, since that is probably my best alternative. I want the Fusion becaue of the styling and it adds a bit more luxury and style.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One thing I definately like about Fords is the aftermarket. The growth is slow for Mazdas and is fairly limited. Even for the Mazda 3, the production for parts is taking forever. Supposedly SCT is working on a plug-n-play tuner for Mazdas, but we'll see. Ford always has them within a reasonable amount of time after a car is released.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
However, I heard Mazda 6 has awesome suspension, part of the reason it is kicking ass at Speed World Challenge Touring Class.
Bingo.. Fusion belongs on the road course in the twisties not on the 1/4 mile drag strip.
Due to the stiff chassis and superb suspension, the Fusion will beat more powerful cars around the race track that would normally hand the Fusion its butt in the 1/4 mile.

If power is what you want, think Turbo.
That is what we are installing on our 2006 2.3L Fusion SEMA Project Vehicle.
I wish I could go turbo, I would have to go through my wife first (not going to happen). And also I have seen draxas stuff for Mazdas and I have heard some good stuff about it. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you have the chance to drive a car like Walter's, or say, a Cosworth L2 equipped 2.3L like ours, well... you'll be saying "to hell with CARB"!!!!
I agree
Well, until it's time to smog the car that is...and maybe Powerworks will have a CARB legal Supercharger for the 2.3 by that time

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've read that Powerworks has a prototype SC for Duratech, but how real is it as far as coming to market? Anyone know anything?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I talked to Powerworks at FOTB, and the best answer I can get is maybe because the demand is low. So next year, we might have a better idea
I'm hoping that they will come out before I have to smog my car. But right now, I'm so happy with my Cosworth L2
It pulls so so hard

1 - 20 of 20 Posts