Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
A Flock of Seagulls
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read references to a light weight Ranger crankshaft on this forumn, and I was curious about the differences between it and the FWD 2.3. Is the Ranger crank lighter only because it lacks the gear to drive the balance shafts; or does it also have fewer counter weights? When the Duratec was first announced, I read that the 2.3 was fully counterweighted, and the 2.0 wasn't. Sounds like the Ranger engine may be an exception. If anyone can clarify; or post pictures, I'd appreciate it.

·
A Flock of Seagulls
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, the 2.3 Ranger Duratec crankshaft is similar to the 2.0 Duratec crank in that it is not fully counter weighted; and it lacks the gear to drive the balance shafts. Is this correct? If so, then it would be considerably lighter than the fully counter weighted FWD 2.3 Duratec crank.

I have another question. Some time ago, a member posted a picture of a Duratec block showing the lower girdle that supports the crankshaft. The girdle appears to be one piece, replacing seperate main bearing caps. My question is, is this support girdle made from aluminum like the rest of the block, or is it iron?

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Can someone explain what the affects of a not fully counter-weighted crank shaft are? I mean, I understand that there would be less rotating mass. Would there be more vibration? What would the advantage be to a fully counter weighted crank shaft?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
A fully counterweighted crank shaft will vibrate much less. They want a smooth engine for a car, but it doesn't matter for a truck. If you're going to be hitting really high RPMs, you may actually want the counterweights. But for normal street engines, lighter will rev faster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts