Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.3l 87\' mustang

just looking for some feedback on this car...5spd

looking to buy one, says its stock, asked if its been turboed, says no.

163K miles with a stereo system, any help in what i should look at specifically would be appreciated thanks

this car is just to get from here to there keep in mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 2.3l 87\' mustang

and says its had regular oil changes and is reliable...uncle is a mech. thanks again.

·
I can do no WRONG
1,356 Posts

Jed, that car is slow as dirt but the 2.3 is virtually indestructable when turboed. Buy it and go scrounging for the turbo parts and build a beastie.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

what signs should i look for in case its had a turbo before?

im worried the rear end may go but thats without looking at it.

·
Registered
20 Posts

okay first off if the guy put a turbo on the stock n/a 2.3l it would go boom. They were never built to withstand any amount of abuse. But the 2.3l in the svos turbocoupes etc. had diffrent cranks and rods that were stamped form boss 302 forms they also had a higherflow head a diffrent injectors so what i am saying is that he would have to had put another motor in the car to get it to work right. If it is a 87 it probally hasn't been turboed. I Have a 84 Gt that the 5.0 has blown up in and i was consdering putting 2.3 turbo in it but i can't find a good turbo motor but if you do go with it to build turbo motor don't use the motor that is in it at least find a ranger n/a motor to use there is a diffrence.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Chances are real good it hasn't had turbo, its a decently extensive project. The turbo blocks are different from the regular ones. By the way, the blocks are destructible, as I have done it many times, but I was just being stupid and running way to much boost for stock fuel pump

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

First, I wouldn't use ranger motor, turbocoupe, merkur, capri, svo and couger blocks are easy enough to get at junkyard, and they're already tapped for oil return line. Forged internals and what not. If anybody is looking for a built 2.3, let me know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

good info and thanks again, i do need it just to go here nor there, i wasnt thinking crank and rods more like fuel and spark but ok thats the best info ive gotten in over two years

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

i figure the 4cyl. has more potential than a 6.

...i am officially talking to myself, still at 163K and 16 some years old just trying to make up a little check point list

·
Registered
20 Posts

to be truthful the 4s and 6s from the fox body eras have no potential at all unless the 4 is turboed. that is how i fell about it anyway. i had a 90 2.3 that was a turd i hated it all together but it was a auto so that could have had something to do with it. but it did get me from here to there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

thanks john and everyone you hit on all my questions.

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts

Be prepared to get spanked by geos, yes even if its a 5spd.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

I don't care if it wasn't turboed from the factory, those farkin 2.3L SOHC motors were built like tanks! With management, it'll take boost, no problem. Of course that's true of anything...

As for the car overall, well, the 4 bangers were dogs, combined with ****ty Mustang handling, it's probably one of the slowest cars ever built in the 80's.

But, the motor is tought, the chassis and suspension is simple and rugged, and any mechanic can fix one, blindfolded, with one hand tied behind their back...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

My buddy had a 91 2.3L automatic that spanked my zx3 in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Had 184k on it. Then it hit a tree. Doh.

Great engine.

·
Registered
183 Posts

I have an 85 XR4Ti Just running intake, exhaust, adjust timing and 20 psi. It was FAST. And it took me REAL FAST right into the side of a GMC Safari.It had one of the loudest stock turbos ive ever heard.It was awesome.The engine is going to outlive the car ten fold.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

hey folks, well i bought it for what i paid its no loss either way.

very simple set up, very few parts and tons of engine bay space...

sounds like it may have a like a rolling knock sound in the valvetrain but well see...it feels um not slow but i was expecting it do be going backwards so it beats walking...and yeah the handling is lets say vague for lack of a better word.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts