Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what totally consist of a cold air intake?
why is it called "cold" air intake what makes the air cold?
is it better then a short ram intake?
how much power are we looking at and any ecu tuning befor you start it?

·
Registered
305 Posts
cold air intakes or CAI usually have longer tubbing that follows downward out of the egine area to avoid sucking in hot engine air... its called cold becuse it sucks up cold air comming from under the bumper. i have a k/n cai for my 05 zx4 and i love it... sounds good, feels great...(more responsive) and i get better gas mileage!
short ram are usually shorter and are in the immidiate egine bay area... although most short rams come with a heat shield, that helps... but sometimes still sucks in warm air... power differs on tubing size and engine... and no ecu tuning needed....

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so cold air is just buy bolt on, put sensor and hose where it originally was and your all good and is it facing into the wind? do you ever get rocks or **** hitting it is it that low under the stock bumper?

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
No, because the filter is before the wheel, surrounded by the bumper and the wheel well liner. The only danger is hydrolock, and you have to drive into a really deep puddle or river for that to happen (in most cases).

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
No, because the filter is before the wheel, surrounded by the bumper and the wheel well liner. The only danger is hydrolock, and you have to drive into a really deep puddle or river for that to happen (in most cases).
Exactly! I have never had a problem with mine and I live Washington State where it rains 9 months out of the year!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was just looking this up and I havent been able to find a cold air intake to go with the PZEV engine. Its some special zero emissions set up but I dont get very good gas milage (26mpg). Does anyone know of a CAI for this car? or anything else to help with gas milage?

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
I was just looking this up and I havent been able to find a cold air intake to go with the PZEV engine. Its some special zero emissions set up but I dont get very good gas milage (26mpg). Does anyone know of a CAI for this car? or anything else to help with gas milage?
I would check out FSWerks I am sure they have a CAI for your car.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would check out FSWerks I am sure they have a CAI for your car.

o yea they do i got the 03 zx3 and its the one that you can replace its not the box one its the one that runs in-front of the left front tire.

pzev 2.3 duratec i figured out when you buy one to make sure to check the vid number with ford because there is ones out there where you can't change certain parts like the tie rod arms you have to replace the whole steering rack. and i believe on that specific one you can't change the air filter either.
why ford would do this to make more money of course but i was lucky when i bought this one that it is a serviceable one. the models where you cant change the simple tie-rod arms is considered a non serviceable car on some parts in it. and there is a lot of them. watch out be careful it would suck to get one that is non serviceable. easy way to check before you buy take vid number call ford and ask if the tie rod arms on your car are serviceable if not do not buy. well unless you want to have to pretty much bring it to ford every-time you bend a tie rod arm or pay 275 dollars for the whole set up and do it your self.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Could adding a cold-air intake to a 2003 ZX5 2.3L PZEV cause any damage or stress to an older engine?

Also, I read that these aren't "legal" in Oregon when I was doing some shopping online for some at K&N, etc.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how many miles? on your o3 zx5 2.3l pzev.

·
Registered
305 Posts
ive got a pzev and i got the k/n CAI for my 05 zx4... i love it... sounds great.. and if im mistaken... its not just the intake housing that makes a pzev a pzev, its also with the unique headers and cat that make it , so removing the stock intake wont change much...

·
Registered
1 Posts
ive got a pzev and i got the k/n CAI for my 05 zx4... i love it... sounds great.. and if im mistaken... its not just the intake housing that makes a pzev a pzev, its also with the unique headers and cat that make it , so removing the stock intake wont change much...
hello, i know this is an old thread but i recently installed the k/n CAI for the same car you have, but I've been getting hiccups and RPMs keep dropping on me, did you get that same issue? If so how did it get resolved

1 - 18 of 18 Posts