Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys, i crammed a 2.5 from a 2014 fusion into my 06 zx4 st. its running and driving again but has been giving me some weird intermittent issues.
its giving me a slow start issue every time, (takes two or three times to start every time.) and it'll run fine but after acceleration (even if you're just revving the cars engine while setting in a driveway) it often stumbles and will drop down to around 500 rpm, many times killing the engine as it does so.
its got a new crank pos sensor, as well as the cam pos sensor.
it does have a major exhaust leak (not that i think that would cause the issues im having) and a few CEL are shown on the odb2 port.

Its listed a EGR cel (which is bc ive deleted the egr.)
its also showing an "intake runner failure" cel which i can only assume is bc I am running the 2.5 intake manifold and it doesnt have the sensors that the 2.3 intake manifold has for the intake runners. (in fact i dont believe the fusion even has the intake runners)

the next, and final, thing that its doing that i find odd is that the gauge cluster does not appear to be reacting in time with the motor. its acting sluggish almost like there is a delay between the engine and the gauges. you can lay on the gas and it kinda hesitates before the tach even notices and moves.... kinda odd.

Anyone have any ideas? I was debating on putting a new intake idle air valve into it as well, but im not sure that its bad as its not throwing a code. (any idea how to test it?)

·
Registered
2007 Focus ST 2.5L Swap
13 Posts
This has been sitting for a while I see. If you haven't figured this issue out yet, I'd be interested to know what your timing cover setup is. Did you use the 2.5L timing cover? 2.5L crank pulley? Which parts did you swap between motors?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This has been sitting for a while I see. If you haven't figured this issue out yet, I'd be interested to know what your timing cover setup is. Did you use the 2.5L timing cover? 2.5L crank pulley? Which parts did you swap between motors?
Im using a 2.3 intake cam w a 2.5 exhaust cam gear installed.
Running the 2.3 timing cover and crank pulley, 2.5 intake w adapter to 2.3 throttle body
Vct delete (running a 2.3 valve cover and oil pan)
Balance shaft delete.
Egr delete.
All accessories are from the 2.3

·
Registered
2007 Focus ST 2.5L Swap
13 Posts
Im using a 2.3 intake cam w a 2.5 exhaust cam gear installed.
Running the 2.3 timing cover and crank pulley, 2.5 intake w adapter to 2.3 throttle body
Vct delete (running a 2.3 valve cover and oil pan)
Balance shaft delete.
Egr delete.
All accessories are from the 2.3
What about fuel rail. Are you using the 2.3 rail and injectors?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
okay guys, i crammed a 2.5 from a 2014 fusion into my 06 zx4 st. its running and driving again but has been giving me some weird intermittent issues.
its giving me a slow start issue every time, (takes two or three times to start every time.) and it'll run fine but after acceleration (even if you're just revving the cars engine while setting in a driveway) it often stumbles and will drop down to around 500 rpm, many times killing the engine as it does so.
its got a new crank pos sensor, as well as the cam pos sensor.
it does have a major exhaust leak (not that i think that would cause the issues im having) and a few CEL are shown on the odb2 port.

Its listed a EGR cel (which is bc ive deleted the egr.)
its also showing an "intake runner failure" cel which i can only assume is bc I am running the 2.5 intake manifold and it doesnt have the sensors that the 2.3 intake manifold has for the intake runners. (in fact i dont believe the fusion even has the intake runners)

the next, and final, thing that its doing that i find odd is that the gauge cluster does not appear to be reacting in time with the motor. its acting sluggish almost like there is a delay between the engine and the gauges. you can lay on the gas and it kinda hesitates before the tach even notices and moves.... kinda odd.

Anyone have any ideas? I was debating on putting a new intake idle air valve into it as well, but im not sure that its bad as its not throwing a code. (any idea how to test it?)

Have you tuned the ECU? You need to modify the A/F tables and change some of the settings for all this to work together.

·
Registered
2007 Focus ST 2.5L Swap
13 Posts
Have you tuned the ECU? You need to modify the A/F tables and change some of the settings for all this to work together.
This is not the case. My car is the same spec as OPs, only a year newer and my 2.5 runs fine. I'm not saying a tune wouldn't help improve overall performance but it should run fine on the factory tune. In my case, getting the 2.5L in was only step 1 for me, I'm going to be adding a handful more parts before I have it tuned.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might have it all figured out.... not sure yet. I was overlooking everything this morning, found that the fusion has a MAP sensor on the intake whereas the focus had a TMAP sensor on the intake. that being said, I swapped them out (because i had the fusion one in the intake) and its seemed to do wonders, got to drive it around for about an hour and it didnt run bad at all... when i drop down to low rpms or when taking off and starting its still acting like its hesitating before acceleration but it FINALLY gave me a code to look for the issue and it tripped the abs/traction control light. the wheel sensor is faulty on both sides lol.... that being said, it would explain why during first acceleration it acts like it wants to fall on its face. the sensors are misreading and kicking the traction control on as if its slipping and cut power to the wheels. at least thats what I think its doing now. sensors will be here tomorrow so i'll know soon enough. but man it felt good to drive it... even gave her a good wash to wash away the 40lbs of birdshit all over it lol... I'll keep you all updated! THANKS again for all the help!

·
Registered
2007 Focus ST 2.5L Swap
13 Posts
Might have it all figured out.... not sure yet. I was overlooking everything this morning, found that the fusion has a MAP sensor on the intake whereas the focus had a TMAP sensor on the intake. that being said, I swapped them out (because i had the fusion one in the intake) and its seemed to do wonders, got to drive it around for about an hour and it didnt run bad at all... when i drop down to low rpms or when taking off and starting its still acting like its hesitating before acceleration but it FINALLY gave me a code to look for the issue and it tripped the abs/traction control light. the wheel sensor is faulty on both sides lol.... that being said, it would explain why during first acceleration it acts like it wants to fall on its face. the sensors are misreading and kicking the traction control on as if its slipping and cut power to the wheels. at least thats what I think its doing now. sensors will be here tomorrow so i'll know soon enough. but man it felt good to drive it... even gave her a good wash to wash away the 40lbs of birdshit all over it lol... I'll keep you all updated! THANKS again for all the help!
No problem, glad to hear some progress. Can you just turn off traction control then in the meantime?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No problem, glad to hear some progress. Can you just turn off traction control then in the meantime?

Well thats the wierd thing. The light comes on as if its off but it sure feels like its on and then it releases when you rev a bit higher rpm.
Clutch feels normal and it shifts fine , but its almost like a "limp mode" when it does this. Traction control light flashes when it occurs then goes back to solid

·
Registered
2007 Focus ST 2.5L Swap
13 Posts
Well thats the wierd thing. The light comes on as if its off but it sure feels like its on and then it releases when you rev a bit higher rpm.
Clutch feels normal and it shifts fine , but its almost like a "limp mode" when it does this. Traction control light flashes when it occurs then goes back to solid
The light could be on because of a trouble code, can it still be toggled with the button?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The light could be on because of a trouble code, can it still be toggled with the button?

no, the odb2 is showing a code for skipped tooth (both left and right wheel) or something along those lines, the light just stays on. Im going to put new front wheel bearings on this week sometime and i purchased two new abs sensors for the front wheels. hoping that takes care of it.... the wheel bearings were REALLY bad lol... didnt realize it before all this work had been done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts