Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys, I did the 2.5 swap on my 06 zx4 st and its up and running. sometimes it runs PERFECTLY fine but other times its giving me a hesitation issue.... it typically starts in first gear taking off from a stop. I'll push the gas and let out of the clutch and it will engage the gear but it is SUPER slow to accelerate, then its almost like it suddenly gets the signal and accelerates hard.
Almost like the clutch was slipping and it didnt engage but the clutch is functioning properly (as the rpms are not reving up when this occurs.)
there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when or if it happens. almost all the sensors on the motor are brand new, cam, crank, tmap, temp sensor, fuel pressure sensor, tps....
kinda at a loss.... thoughts? ideas?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had it out today, noticed something more to help perhaps. It only does this if the idle drops below 1k rpms. If i roll to a stop and keep it idled over 1k rpm it accelerates normal. If im at a light for a long time and let off gas complete the idle drops around 700 rpms and when i accelerate again to start moving it hesitates a LONG time then slowly accelerates no matter how hard i am down on the pedal.

·
Registered
2007 Focus ST 2.5L Swap
13 Posts
Do you have a scanner and can see live data? Could be something throwing the fuel mix way off but you'd need to be able to see live data.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay.... update. I adjusted my scanner displays and got to show the following... cam position sensor status, absolute throttle position, idle air control, MAF, Fuel Rail Pressure, Manifold absolute pressure.
first thing that i noticed was that the idle air sensor was acting odd as hell, and then would sometimes do nothing at all... started looking it over (because im running the 2.3TB on the 2.5 manifold) and found that the wire on the back of the connector had been broken. I went and got a new pigtail and connector, wired it all back in and it started working perfectly.

the TPS is working as well, as i step on the pedal the throttle position opens until it hits 100% and seems to do so as quick or as slow as i apply pressure to the pedal.

NOW to the issue at hand (or so i believe)... the Camshaft position sensor status is ALWAYS 0.0
on a rare occasion when i first start the car it will show up as 1.0 but as soon as it starts within a few seconds it goes back to 0.0
the sensor itself is new (and i cannot find the old one for the life of me) so i can only assume it works.
I had read that the CPS was supposed to be supplied with 5 volts of power and and have found that mine is no where near that amount. hell its typically under 1 volt of power. now im not 100% sure on the feed voltage being 5v so im going to do some more reading on it tonight.... aside from that number I think im going to have to start tracing the wiring out
wish me luck....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stock ecu...
Having cam signal issues i think. Found out there is no supplied voltage to cam sensor as it is an exciter which uses magnetic friction to create the power for the signal.
If i keep it idled over 1000rpm it seems to accelerate finw but it feels like its holding back slightly. Not sure how to explain lol... it feels hesitant like its dragging a brake or something (its not actually dragging a brake)

·
Registered
2007 Focus ST 2.5L Swap
13 Posts
I am about to do this on an 05 st, but im running 2.5 dual stage mazda manifold.
That's not a bad idea, if you don't eliminate anything then that's a good way to keep away a check engine light. I'm using the fusion single stage manifold and it's working fine.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts