Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys.... just did my 2.5 swap into my 2006 zx4 st.

I used a 2014 fusion engine for the swap, using the 2.3 valve cover, oil pan and dipstick tube, and timing cover. (also used all the 2.3 accessories, alternator, ac, power steering etc) Im using the 2.5 block, head and intake manifold. (with an adapter plate for the 2.3 throttle body)

Engine starts and runs but idles a bit rough and stumbles upon acceleration... that being said I am using the 2.3 fuel rail (w pressure sensor) because I figured that would assure the computer would react normally. however after everything was installed I realized that the 2.5 intake does not have the access port to feed that sensor with the vacuum pressure that it needs. (which surely is why its acting the way it is at the moment) any ideas on bypassing this or where i should try to tap into the system to gain the vacuum necessary ?

any ideas, or help would be greatly appreciated.

·
I
13,452 Posts
Yeah, you definitively need that vacuum reference. You can tap into any vacuum line that comes off the manifold to get that pressure reference. I would suggest not tapping the brake booster line since that's critical/safety related, but all others are fair game.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay, i tapped into the intake and created my own port which now ties to the fuel pressure sensor. car starts and runs, even took it out on a small drive around the block trying to get a feel for it. Still stumbles when dropping rpms and seems to stumble and hesitate bad when you give it full throttle to accelerate. Im sure its a sensor somewhere thats acting up, the throttle body seems to be functioning properly. any ideas? Im going to try to get ahold of a odb2 scanner tool and see what its throwing for codes. (i know its got a egr valve bc i deleted it.) hopefully that'll shine some light in the direction I should be looking in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay lol... odb2 reader shined light in the right direction. cam shaft position sensor was bad. put a new one in and its running like a damn champ. throwing two cel codes (one for egr and one for "intake runners") which I already knew it'd throw. running great, broke some tires loose and even got to give her a little bit of a rip without drawing too much heat from the cops. video will be coming soon!

·
Registered
1 Posts
okay lol... odb2 reader shined light in the right direction. cam shaft position sensor was bad. put a new one in and its running like a damn champ. throwing two cel codes (one for egr and one for "intake runners") which I already knew it'd throw. running great, broke some tires loose and even got to give her a little bit of a rip without drawing too much heat from the cops. video will be coming soon!
You got a youtube video?
How fast does it run, 0 to 60?
How is the space in the engine bay vs the original engine?

·
I
13,452 Posts
Awesome! Glad you figured it out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You got a youtube video?
How fast does it run, 0 to 60?
How is the space in the engine bay vs the original engine?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd-g0DvbyvtQjGdWvLralcQ is my youtube. (search for broke but functioning garage)
to answer your questions, it fits in the bay exactly like the 2.3 bc the outside dimensions of the engines are identical. aside from the egr delete and the throttle body adapter the engine bay looks completely stock after the swap. as for the 0 to 60 times etc, im not sure yet.
still ironing out some issues. the engine is in and running, but has been giving me a few problems. the cam position sensor was bad, so i replaced that. (which made a big difference) I have a large exhaust leak and am tracing down a vacuum leak, havent found it yet. car is slow to start and is idling rough off and on with no real rhyme or reason i can see. sometimes it runs perfect and feels powerful other times when I let off the gas the idle drops down to like 500 rpms and it tries to die. so its still a work in progress. as soon as i get some better footage of it running and driving i'll post it up.

Any time you do a project this large there is always little hiccups at the end. Hell i had literally every mechanical part of the driveline out of the car and then reinstalled them lol....
Im using a 2014 fusion 2.5 engine, 2.3 intake cam (with a 2.5 exhaust cam gear installed on it.), 2.3 valve cover and oil pan/dipstick/pick up tube set up, Im using the 2.5 intake manifold with a throttle body adapter.(the 2.5 is a drive by wire tb whereas the 2.3 tb was drive by cable.), Im using the 2.3 fuel rail (with a custom made intake port for vacuum) and injectors... I also did a egr delete, vct delete (which was a part of the intake cam shaft work ), and a balance shaft delete.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the info, and the video! From everything I've see about this swap, you may need a tune to smooth out some of those issues. I'm considering a standalone ECU, but there are also other options.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, and the video! From everything I've see about this swap, you may need a tune to smooth out some of those issues. I'm considering a standalone ECU, but there are also other options.
Im thinking theyre caused by the egr delete....
Read a few mazda L engines have to have the inputs from egr at the ecu or else they will cause issues. Every issue theyve described is literally every issue i appear to have. Just need to get some time and get it all back together to see. Worth a shot lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts