Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its stock automatic: ugly, slow, and acceleration sucks. And since I found out focussport is literally around the block from my shop, temptation’s killing me
I figured Id go after performance first, I’m tired of semi’s running me down on those crazy L.A. freeways as I’m screaming at my car to shift out of 2nd
But I need some advice
I have springs, intake, and exhaust on my list, what else should I look at to get my car up and moving when I stomp on it?

[ 10-29-2002, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: sgtd ]

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
head package

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Volant air intake
Focus-Central TB for the Automatic
header
Cam gears(focus-central)
better exhaust system. MagnaFlow(focus-central)
I think the name is correct: Demon Fire Coil pack
Flex pipe
Focus Central 3 piece under drive pullies
Chip that puppy.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
save a few hundred more and put a turbo on and i lay down 200whp.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sounds like you should have bought a faster car.

But, since you didn't and now you want to make your slow car faster and with FocusSport around the block. Go visit them!

Typical first mods are intake, and exhaust. You just have to decide how far you want to go with both in terms of money and emissions. Your intake choices are pretty clear, short ram or full length CAI, then the throttle body. Still, not going to make your car as fast as you want... Your exhaust decisions get a little tougher, cat-back is the easy part and several choices are available. Then you have to decide if a short header and hi-flo cat, or a race header is appropriate for your local and state laws. The flexpipe is a no brainer.

So, let's assume you spent all that money on a CAI, t/b, and complete exhaust upgrade. Depending on the choices you made, you are out anywhere from $1000 to $1500. And guess what, your car still isn't fast enough! Faster than you were at stock, but "fast" ?

The next step you should take is at least adjustable cam sprockets/gears. This will allow you to tune in your new intake and exhaust. Approx. $250 and you'll want to have them tuned in at a tuning shop on a Dyno. FocusSport can do that for you, not sure what they charge for that.

Still, "fast", hmmmm... Drop another $1500-$2000 in a cylinder head and camshafts, get it all hooked up, and now you can probably say your car is "fast". But, since you opened the engine up, there goes your warranty, if that's a concern.

Oh, and screaming at your car to get out of 2nd gear... if it's not ready to shift, why would you want it to. It's going to shift at around 6200 rpms as I recall, if you have the pedal to the metal and that should be around 80mph I think.

[ 10-29-2002, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: myFordPerformance.com ]

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
bah, screw bolt ons.....listen to me, get a head package
then each bolt on after that will give that much more power, autos CAN be fast

its better, IMO to get something BIG while you can....I should have...then to have all the little things and be groaning about how stock guys keep up so well....its easier to pay now than save later

·
Registered
662 Posts
Originally posted by Trey:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A few hundred more? $3000-$5000 and one would still want to think about head work and other internals, not to mention any automatic tranny issues that might come to play.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Originally posted by Trey:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ditto. You could do your own custom kit for that price. Otherwise, maybe a Stage II Aerocharger setup. Add a good suspension kit with better tires and you're done

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
errrr...turbo is outta the question for this man, atleast for now...he'd need his tranny rebuilt.....hey...thats an option, too, Level Ten tranny rebuild....

·
Registered
662 Posts
Originally posted by PGZX3:
bah, screw bolt ons.....listen to me, get a head package
then each bolt on after that will give that much more power, autos CAN be fast

its better, IMO to get something BIG while you can....I should have...then to have all the little things and be groaning about how stock guys keep up so well....its easier to pay now than save later
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good Advice!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Turbo on a stock auto ...

Id say .. cus it doesnt seem like he wants to be a turbotom here..

Intake, exaust, headers+highflow cat, cam gears, and UDP.

Id did enough on my auto for me to be proud of. He can worry about stuff like head packages and other more "hardcore" stuff later imo. No offence to you PGZX3 .. i fully agree.. if you have the money and you want to be SUPER fast. You go for something big first..

Tranny upgrade would be first in my eyes if you have the money to blow right away.

But when you think about it .. 9/10 on this board will never be .."hardcore" anyways.. so I just recommend the simple stuff.. Makes sense to me..

[ 10-29-2002, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: tdot-zx3 ]

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hey sgtd i have an auto and know a bit about what you might want for your car! Just send me an email [email protected] or [email protected] and i will get back to you super quick with some info on what you might want depending on your specifications. I just dont feel like getting into discussion about ( auto this, auto that) kinda stuff when this is about what you want.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If you dont feel like getting a head package then get some cams, crower stg 2's (since it sounds like you do a lot of freeway runs)

Cams and cam gears and the already mentioned intake, tb, full exhaust got me 147whp (plus a chip, udp)

EDIT: on a 5spd, not auto, sorry guys

[ 10-30-2002, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Carizme ]

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
what I did:
(see sig)

16.1 in the quarter whichproves that two cars with similar mods... the manual will be 1 second faster than the auto

1 - 20 of 27 Posts