Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which under drive pulley is better: Focus Central 2 pc or Esslinger, Focus Sport, Ford Racing, etc.

Is going through the trouble of getting the water pump pulley off worth it?

Also, I looked at the how-to on myfordfocus.com and even bought a Haynes Repair Manual to help with the installation, I don't think I will have a problem removing and installing the pulley itself, The problem I think I would have is getting at the belt tensioner. It is in an awkward position. What is the best way to get at this to remove the old belt and put on the new belt?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
choice is yours really.

2pc does have advantage of reusing stock belt..no guesswork later.

tensioner is easy, when jacked up, get under the car and palm the tensioner pulley w/your strong arm (i'm a lefty so i likely lie backwards from you). feed the belt all the way around leaving til its only the a/c pulley that isnt set. push up hard on the tensioner in a series of efforts, push, hold, push, hold, til you can finally slip the belt on w/your off hand.

you can do it

good luck

-Ult

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
w/your strong arm
Grab my strong hand
Sorry couldn't resist.

Anyway...how involved is the water pump pulley? I looked at mine tonight and it looks like a square? bolt attaches it on? I'm thinking about just hucking up the money for FC's kit for my car (because there are no other options right now). But I dont want to have to go to a mechanic to have it put on

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I talked to Tony D over at www.newedgeperformance.com about this same thing when I ordered my UDP. I went ahead and got the crank only setup using the AFX pulley. I really like it, and I had worries about my audio system and it runs fine. You should be able to cross reference the part number from the belt cover if you use the crank only setup and a shorter belt. I reccommend the AFX its great
Peace

Lox

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
in my car, there is a strong bolt next to the tensioner. if you can get a screwdriver in there, you can pry the tensioner from the top, its very easy. DO NOT let the screwdriver come out though, because the tensioner will snap back against the bolt and you'll be SOL and have to work at it.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Just remember its very easy to move your two resevoirs (coolant and brake) if they are in the way. Its been a while I've been looking down there to know if they are in the way of the tensioner, but if they are, they aren't hard at all to throw out of the way. When you get that shocket (or wrench or whatever) on the tensioner, just leave it there until your done so you don't have to put it back on. Sounds stupid, but I've seen alot of people take it off and put it back on over and over again.

I've heard goods things about the afx crank. I've heard it doesn't drain any electrical stuff.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
you dont need to do any of that if you do it my way, the easy way. forgotten how many times i've done it this way.

-Ult

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Yeah, I can't remember. I just looked. Oh well

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help.

I still don't know which would be easier: 1) getting just the crank pulley and putting on a new belt, or 2) getting the FC 2pc and trying to get off the water pump pulley. It too is in an awkward place nest to the frame. I could barely get a wrench on those tree little bolts holding it on. Wolud just replacing the belt be easier? Some UDPs (Focus Sport for example) come with a belt. I would trust Focus Sport to include the right size belt, unlike what I have read about the MAC having an incorrect size belt. The FC 2pc of course uses the stock belt.

Again thanks for the help.

·
Registered
609 Posts
i like the idea of using the stock belt because if for some reason it breaks, you can just run to the autoparts store and get a new one instead of ordering it from a website and waiting for a few days to get it.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
2pc is cake...setup a computer nearby when you do it and i'll walk you thru it...hell you can call me, i dont mind.

-Ult

·
Registered
904 Posts
i like the idea of using the stock belt because if for some reason it breaks, you can just run to the autoparts store and get a new one instead of ordering it from a website and waiting for a few days to get it.
Why would you have to order it, just keep the belt number in your owners manual. Thats what I do, just change my belt last weekend, went to the auto store and told them the belt number and that was it.
And I beleive AFX is the smallest and lightest udp you can get.

---Herb---

·
Registered
609 Posts
Why would you have to order it, just keep the belt number in your owners manual. Thats what I do, just change my belt last weekend, went to the auto store and told them the belt number and that was it.
And I beleive AFX is the smallest and lightest udp you can get.

---Herb---
didn't think about that. good plan.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again Ult. I appreciate it.

I think I would be able to install eiher type of UDP except that I don't have much patience. I do not want to start throwing wrenches through my windshield if something does not work out perfectly.
So again I am looking for ease of installation.

One last question before I decide which UDP I will get: Will getting the 2pc slow down the water pump too much for effective engine cooling (esp. in stop and go traffic)?

Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
too many people have proven those doubts wrong over the last 1.5yrs that thing has been out.

2pc is easy, as easy as a udp.

go for it...you think pullies are hard, wait til you get further into mods.

-Ult

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Still, why mess with it when an AF/X Crank UDP will give you Equal or better results than any of the 2 or 3 piece options?
Mine CAME WITH the correct belt, and the #'s are ON the Belt in case you ever need to replace it.
It is a Standardized belt... nothing wierd.
I DEFINITELY Recommend the light AF/X Crank UDP.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I also recommend the Af/x pulley, got mine from Tony d at Newedge. Its the most underdrive and lightest of any pulley and does come with the corret belt. Plus the price is very nice

1 - 18 of 18 Posts