Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey how's it going?

1st question. Has anyone's radio started to sound preety bad like it's not loud or the sub doesnt hit as hard and it's kind of It just doesnt sound like it was when i bought the car and it is the audophile system so can some one help me out.

2nd question. Ok when i bring my car to the redline i use to be able to feel the DSI switch over but i cant really feel it and sometimes i know it doesnt switch over but the Cabel is FINE so i dont no where else to look but i just want to no what you guys think it is.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hey how's it going?

1st question. Has anyone's radio started to sound preety bad like it's not loud or the sub doesnt hit as hard and it's kind of It just doesnt sound like it was when i bought the car and it is the audophile system so can some one help me out.

2nd question. Ok when i bring my car to the redline i use to be able to feel the DSI switch over but i cant really feel it and sometimes i know it doesnt switch over but the Cabel is FINE so i dont no where else to look but i just want to no what you guys think it is.

Thanks Guys
1. Not mine. Check to see that everything is connected correctly, most importantly your amp which is located right above the sub.

2. Your DSI cable might be fine, but the motor may have gone bad. Your best bet is to take it in to the dealer.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Along this same line, how can I tell if the DSI is shifting? I've never been able to tell, and think this would be valid information for this post.
thanks

·
Registered
751 Posts
You could have someone rev the car and you con just look at it and see it move. Or if you have an aftermarket intake, or even just remove the intake resonator, when you are driving and hit about 5800rpms, you should notice a slight change in noise.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have had the same comment about the stereo. The reason being is that I just bought a 2003 Foci for my wife with the Audiophile system and here sound is crystal clear and significantly sounds better. I chalk it up to the music I play, lots of metal.

No comment on the DSI cable as I can here mine switch some of the time but I have a CAI.

·
Registered
269 Posts
2nd question. Ok when i bring my car to the redline i use to be able to feel the DSI switch over but i cant really feel it and sometimes...
When I had my JRSC put in, the mechanic pointed out something interesting to me about my DSI. He said there was a little plastic part on it that was broken that was preventing the DSI from opening up. So you might want to check the functionality of yours...see if its actually working.

The funny thing about it is that the car dyno'd at 150HP with the broken DSI. No other mods were on it aside from the drop-in K&N air filter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
dazednconfused75 and aychseven - good call. I could see the DSI (or at least the cable) switching when I reved the engine via accel cable/throttle body. The cable moved, and it looked tight, but I can't tell that it's moving the whole assembly. I assume it is, as the cable would probably be hanging loose if it weren't.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Hey guys are you saying that you can have some one rev your car in N and look in the engine bay and see the dsi cable move? I thought the switch took load on the car into consideration, and would not switch when in N. Well, let me know cause I would like to check this out.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I saw it switch no more than two hours ago infra. You can definitely see it happen. They weren't lying.

·
Registered
17 Posts
to check the dsi look at the cable with the car shut off,it should be loose which is the short runner pos. then start the car and check the cable,it should be pulled tight which is the long runner pos.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Thats cool man! I didnt mean to make it sound as if I thought they were lying. It was said around here a while ago that you could not see the switch with the car in N, I am gonna check this out first thing in the morning....SWEET!

·
Registered
751 Posts
The funny thing about it is that the car dyno'd at 150HP with the broken DSI. No other mods were on it aside from the drop-in K&N air filter.
The DSI manifold goes to the "short intake runner" position by default if the linkage breaks or if the cable breaks or is disconnected. The short intake position is where peak horsepower occurs - 7,000 RPM. So your car would show peak dyno hp even if the DSI were disabled.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Along this same line, how can I tell if the DSI is shifting? I've never been able to tell, and think this would be valid information for this post.
thanks
Simple test:

First, gain access to the motor (remove the fender liner, bumper, etc.) You will see a plug on top of the box (in front of drivers front tire, BTW). In there is a harness with I beleive 5 wires. A green/ white, white/ red and two black/ whites. The fifth wire is white/black I THINK. Just narrow it down tot he last wire.

Turn the ignition on (do not start the car), and put one end of a wire to ground, strip the 5th wire and touch the ground wire to copper. you will hear the cable move.

I did this when I was playing with my DSI controller...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.