Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm one of those folks looking to put good, reliable Ford power into my 1985 VW Vanagon: (1) I own an extra 1993 Ford Ranger 2.3l motor (in addition to my Ranger truck itself) and the Vanagon & (2) I'm aware of the Bostig.org group that uses only the 2.0l Focus motor from 2000 - 2004 and like the idea of having other folks, & Facebook group & online information (manuals and the like) to refer to....
MY QUESTION (might seem obvious but it's not to me....): #1 : What are block / head /Eng. Management systems differences between the 1993 2.3l Range Motor I already own & the 2000-2004 Focus 2.0l Motor that this Bostig.org group seems to use exclusively....?

Interestingly, the KennedyEngineering firm that also makes eng/trans. adaptors does not like the Focus motor, they prefer the Duratec Motor but admit it "more computerized" which I'm trying to keep as simply as possible....

Any thoughts on my "use what I have" vs. "buy old, 2000-2004 Focus 2.0l Engine so I can learn from this Bostig.org group online?

Thanks for whatever you might share...

Larry
Gainesville, Ga.

· Registered
1,228 Posts
You need a 1000 page book to detail that. Don't waste your time. Your '93 engine is old school SOHC Pinto motor stuff and does not make enough power to pull a heavy Vanagon. Why they use the smaller motor with much higher technology and even those if older will have trouble pulling that vehicle. With 33% less power the Pinto motor will be a total fail. 100 hp, fully developed by then yet the 2.0 Focus makes 130 and more.

Bostig people have shown up on Focus sites before when the projects didn't quite work out. The engine won't pull the van well even new and the way they set that swap up puts a metal melting exhaust heat spot right next to the engine to sap it of all power. A sh-tty setup at best.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts