·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Ford Focus
2.0 dohc zetec
~120k miles

What happened:
Drove car home fine, parked a couple days, would not start again. Cranks, but does not attempt to start or run.

What I've checked:
Battery is good + charged.
Grounds are good.
All fuses are good.
Gets fuel all the way to fuel rail.
All plugs get spark.
Camshafts turn when cranking.
Took top timing cover off, no visible problems with belt, can't verify it hasnt jumped time though unless I completely take off the other covers? Pretty sure the belt was replaced @ 60 something thousand miles, but not 100% will probably replace soon anyway.
Security light is normal.
Check engine light is not on, I'm assuming this means no useful info if I hook it to a OBD2 computer?

Possibly other useful info:
Once when I was cranking it, (I think right after putting fuel line back on), it backfired and I had smoke coming out of the intake. I took off all the hoses/filter to make sure nothing was still on fire.

Things I'm not sure how to do from the stickied "car wont start" thread:
How do I check if the injectors are firing?
What is the easiest way to test compression, is purchasing extra tool required, or is there something else I can do?

What is the next thing I should check out? I'm thinking maybe crank sensor, how would I go about testing it?

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
sounds to me like very very weak spark. how did you test for spark?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just visually, took all the plugs out, put the wires back on, put in contact with metal and had someone else crank it while I checked for spark.
Plugs + wires were replaced about 1.5 years ago

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
look at the 3 wire connector on the coil pack. Also check compression. If timing somehow jumped you will show low or no compression.

Also how did you test for fuel at the rail? Your fuel pump could be not putting out enough and you only may be getting 1-2 psi at the rail and not the 40 it needs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will be putting new timing belt on tomorrow, at first I just checked it by removing the top timing cover and the belt looked great, but I didnt rotate it around, once I took off the middle timing cover I saw teeth missing.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
503 Posts
Will be putting new timing belt on tomorrow, at first I just checked it by removing the top timing cover and the belt looked great, but I didnt rotate it around, once I took off the middle timing cover I saw teeth missing.

Thanks for the help
No Prob. I had the same prob.. the teeth wore off and I was stuck since I had to have dealer do the work since my car was towed there. I originally told these guys that it was the fuel pump recall but they didn't want to do it till they stalled the car test-driving it. Go figure ... dumb asses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts