Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning All,

I've been having issues with my daughter's 2000 Ford Focus (Automatic). It seems that the car started stalling on her and dying while at stop lights/signs, or when lowering speed/throttle when making turns. Initially i replaced the spark plugs and did an oil change. That did not work, so when on to change the spark plug wires since they seemed worn out, and still did not work. I then went ahead and spent a bit more and replaced both the Coil and EGR, but then that did not fix the issue. So i figured, maybe the fuel filter is clogged, so i ordered that and replaced it this past weekend, but when tested the car afterwards, it seem to not have fixed the issue. So then i tried removing the air filter from the air filter box, and tested the car, and that did to do the trick. The car did not stall or die on us. So i figured, lets replace it and that should do the trick. So we did. My daughter ran her call all day saturday and had no issues what so ever with it stalling and/or dying on her. Then yesterday evening, she had not moved the car since saturday evening, she was going to drive it and as the car started to go, it started stalling again. What can it be? I noticed that the hose that comes out of the air filter box and into the engine is kinda lose and doesn't really go into the box with a tight fit. Could this be causing some air leakage and causing the car to stall? Or, anyone think that maybe the PCV valve and hose could be the issue, since i have not checked that? Someone told me that maybe the MAF Sensor, but how would i check to see if the MAS Sensor is the issue?

Any tips would help. I've already spent about $30 on all that I already changed and it is still stalling. The car engine runs pretty good, with the exception of it stalling. It doesnt leak oil, does not shake when idling, and feels super smooth when running without stalling. It is just the stalling when rpm are between 1000 & 2000, when the car is initially taking off. Once it gets speed and driven on freeway, it does not stall at all.

·
I
13,336 Posts
I would look at/replace the soft rubber PCV hose that connects from the hard line under the coil/thermostat housing to the intake manifold. Also the PCV valve and the brittle rubber elbow that sits under the exhaust manifold. I've had those hoses suck shut or crack/leak and cause all sorts of weird idle and stalling issues. The hose from the valve cover to airbox won't mater since that isn't metered air. You could unhook that hose completely and the engine should still run fine.

Since this is a 2000, do you know if the fuel pump recall was ever done? Any chance the car stalls when you take a sharp right hand corner?

This thread from @inventiv couldn't have been timed better:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts