Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that the fogs were the ONE WAY to tell an SPI from a Zetec-equipped sedan from the outside.
Yesterday I was at a gas station in the wife's sedan, and an employee said that his car was "just like mine".
Well, it had Aluminum 15's, no spoiler, no fogs, and looked like an SPI rental car. He had just bought it from CarMax... 1 owner, medium low miles, great shape, odd light gold color.
I said, "Yeah, they are different though... This one is a Zetec car, and yours is what's called an SPI Focus."
He said, "Well, it's got a 2 liter, and I THINK it's a Zetec....".
So, he popped the hood, and sure enough, there sat a Zetec.

Was this car some strange anomaly, or do I have something wrong?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I think the SE Models only came with the Sport package with the spoiler,chrome strip and fogs.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
the se package is available on both the spi and zetec. the zetec equipped foci have the sport package option which adds the fogs along with other things.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the se package is available on both the spi and zetec. the zetec equipped foci have the sport package option which adds the fogs along with other things.
Right.
And this car had NO Fogs and NO Spoiler.

·
Tarderatoraka: Red-SE-00'
7,592 Posts
Right as Ford was gearing up putting the Zetec into the sedans they used SE SPI sedans to start them off.

When I bought my SE SPI the Zetec wasnt even an option yet. So as the Zetec started getting put in them...Ford used the SE SPI.

3 months later...Ford made the SE Sport and that came with all the stuff you are used to seeing.

Gabe

·
Double-Wide Pride!!!
881 Posts
And do remember that some of the focusses came to life as fleet vehicles. I have seen some of them, Servicemaster in Ft.Scott KS uses them. Those do not have foglights, but do have an automatic, and a zetec engine. (ZX-3)

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Alot of the US Army IFMS Foci are Station wagons that are the SE. Auto, A/C ZTEC mno Fogs, no spoilers and 15" alloy wheels.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
The 2000 ZTS' didn't have fogs. They also had 15" "wagon wheels".

We looked at a few when we bought our first focus in early 2001.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Haha, yeah and those IFMS Foci are real beaters too. We drive the snot out of those things. Lol, I drove to Graf for 4 hours @ 160-180kph.

~Charlie

·
No Indians, only Zuul.
1,119 Posts
yea if that messes with your mind when i worked at ford the first car i ever sold was a ZX3 with a spi cram that thrugh your noggin

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
SE sports had Zetecs with fogs and a spoiler. "Regular" SE's had no fogs and the Zetec was an option--but all had 15" wheels and all the power goodies inside (speed and tilt optional on all SE's, IIRC, windows, locks mirrors included in package). LX's had SPI only and 14" steelies.

In those years, the easy way to tell a Zetec from and SPI is that all zetec cars have a rear bar...and SPI's never do.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In those years, the easy way to tell a Zetec from and SPI is that all zetec cars have a rear bar...and SPI's never do.
True.
I just always thought that the fogs were the OTHER way to tell.
Hmmmm.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
SE sports had Zetecs with fogs and a spoiler. "Regular" SE's had no fogs and the Zetec was an option--but all had 15" wheels and all the power goodies inside (speed and tilt optional on all SE's, IIRC, windows, locks mirrors included in package). LX's had SPI only and 14" steelies.

Unless you cross the border. Canadian SE models with the SPI's had 14" steelies. Only in 2004 could you get available 15" steelies.

One way to tell an LX from an SE is the side mouldings. LX are black plastic, like the ZX3. SE started with body colour.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts