Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting around to posting about this, but it happened about a month ago.

Driving to work, I hit a raised manhole cover that was smoothed with asphalt along the edges, but was quite a lil bump. Anyhow, I heard a lound metal clank in the front right wheel, and kept driving about 1/2 mile down to were my job is. As I turned the wheel, I heard a very loud thumping sound coming again from the front right.

I checked the wheel when I got out, and the spring had completely popped outta place and was lodged in at about at 35 degree angle, millimeter from rubing my wheel.

So, I knew I shouldn't drive the car anywhere - called Ford Roadside (thank god for the extended warranty!!!) and had them tow the car to my dealer, Elmwood Ford in NJ.

Only took Roadside 4.5 hours to get a truck there to tow it, but it's good I was at work, and not on the side of the road.

When I called (was Thursday) the service dept and told them what happened, the clown on the phone said earliest he could look at it was Monday. I said fine, I'll take it elsewhere, and hung up. I called back a few mins later and spoke to the service manager Tom Dickman - and he explained that X # of techs were out sick, the power was out 2 days...yada yada, but said to have the car towed there and they'll look at it 1st thing in the morning.

Got a call, about 11am the next day saying the car was ready, the springs evidently had a recall on them, but I dont remember being notified via mail or anything.

Basically just sharing this incident to see if this has happened to anyone else.

Oh, and an added kick in the ass...just this past Friday I hit a bump in the road, but was very blunt and I cracked two rims on the right side - anyhow, I had spares and went to change the broken rims, and the humpface tech kept the lugkey when he was done working on the car.

Moral of this story - Always talk to the service manager when you want to bring your car in, and attach your lugkey to a two-by-four or metal pipe so they don't forget to put it back.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yes there was a extended warranty coverage on the springs 8yr 150k miles due to corroision problems. My Fiances on her 01 zx3 snapped in half the spring. Didnt know about the recall, bought the spring, put it on and when i went there after one of the techs i knows like you know what had a warranty. Boy i wasnt to happy. I think the other one is making noise now, and is about to go.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
The extended warranty coverage seems to be covering some 2002 models. If you are the original owner and have not moved since you purchased or leased your Focus, you should have received a letter from Ford. If you are a new owner of a used Focus and/or have moved since you bought/leased your car, call into Ford's Customer Care number listed in the owner's manual. That way, if you will be covered, you will be notified.

You can also go into your local Ford, Lincoln, Mercury dealer and have them run your VIN through their database to see if you're covered.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts