Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey group, I'm new to this forum, but have been reading through the message board extensively the past week. I'm looking to get an SVT in the near future.

What I've noticed is that there have been certain build quality issues with the SVT that a lot of you have posted and complained about...when I look at the sigs, it looks like most of them came from 2002 models. Are there any problems that are also found in the 2003s that I'm missing, or are these cars too new or too few for anyone to really comment on?

Basically, wondering if Ford fixed a lot of the 2002 problems in the 2003 models, or not...thanks.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I am sure they have corrected or changed some things and even redesigned others. That is what happens when a new model car comes out. I would say the 03's should see a lot less of the same issues that the 02's had/have.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
First off welcome to the Jet svtvi!!!!!

I will agree as all auto manufacturers continue to make running changes each year.If they run across a lot of common parts that tend to fail early based on warranty claims filed they will update the part and/or also reposition it.So I would say yes that Ford continues to improve on the SVTF and the full Focus model line annually.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Speaking of which, was the intake manifold modified or replaced? I've heard of so many problems with them, it would surprise me if it wasn't addressed.

·
Registered
476 Posts
yea was also wanting to know if there are these major problems with Power Steering and DSI breaking with the 03's like you guys are having with the 02's, my car seems to be good right now but then again it only has 1300 miles on it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I tend to agree ASU, I have 700mi on mine right now and everything seems ok(knock on wood). The only thing that bugs me is the surging/dipping in low/mid speed cruising(yeah I have the RLA6 already), and I wish I could disbale the TC 100%, it just gets in the way sometimes. I have owned 250-300hp FWD cars, TC on a 170hp car seems pointless besides in snow/ice conditions or when you wanna keep it on the course

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've got almost 5K miles on my 03 since the end of April, and the only thing I've had to change (yesterday) was my right front tire, thanks to a massive pothole encounter. The rim is slightly bent but not enough to worry. I put Potenza RE950s on both front rims. Other than some slight surging, no problems, and I do tend to drive on the hard side, but no racing.

DJ

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Dhananjaya, how do you like the 5 door version? That's the one I'm considering for extra room an such. Does it bog down even more due to the added weight?

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,009 Posts
Hey Dhananjaya, how do you like the 5 door version? That's the one I'm considering for extra room an such. Does it bog down even more due to the added weight?
There is only 40-60 extra pounds (I can't remember which) between the ZX3 and ZX5 versions, so the weight issue is almost negligible. There really isn't "extra room" since they are both on the same body, the ZX5 just has two more doors. I got a SVT5 and love the extra doors for carying stuff and hauling people from time to time. If you can choose, go for the 5 door if you don't mine the styling. Some hate the look of the 5 door compared to the 3 door, but I don't see much difference.

·
Registered
123 Posts
What he said
. I used to have a red 2000 ZX3 before, and I actually like the 5-door look better, but that's me. That's why they make different models. As mentioned, not more space, but better ways to use it. Not perfect, but I love the car!

DJ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts