Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have read lots of threads on here about people boosting their focus. I purchased a cheap turbo kit from ebay and since I'm not well versed in turbos, I had a mechanic that my tire shop dealt with put it together. That was a big mistake. He ordered a different turbo than what I had because the integrated wastegate would not allow it to fit without being pressed against the engine. On top of that, he had the car for 3 and a half months. I had to order my header and downpipe which are OBX. Ordered specifically for my car. He had the dump tube cut and repositioned for no reason as they are supposed to line up to the external wastegate perfectly. He clocked the turbo upside down so the oil drain was at the top and just pooled inside and smoked like a chimney. None of the vacuum lines were correct, and he did not install the fire ring. On top of all that, he broke my coolant reservoir, thermostat housing, dip stick, and valve cover gasket. Had my air filter positioned so it would be a straw in a flood. Before I knew the extent of the problems I had, I paid this fool 1500. I fixed it mostly. Still have a small exhaust leak at flange from header to wastegate which is DNA brand. I believe 38mm. Just the last month and a half I have learned so much about this turbo thing that I may as well keep it going. If there is anyone in the manatee county area that will help me out, I will make sure to send everyone I know your way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, the turbo is rated for 20psi max boost and supposed to give a max hp of up to 350hp. Like I said, I'm very new to this stuff so any direction anyone can give would be helpful. I have my boost controller turned all the way down and still boosting 10psi. The boost outruns my fuel so I can't keep it going. But with all that aside, she is running great and the boost I can manage is around 6-8psi. I have an sct tuner that I have turned my wot to 14% more fuel. Not sure if I should back my spark timing off or not. Any suggestions on a good cheap fuel management system or something that will help me keep boosting without the engine falling on its face would be greatly appreciated.

·
I
13,414 Posts
You 100% need a custom tune ASAP before you blow the motor. You can't adjust sufficiently with the end user WOT fuel adjustments, and yes you need to remove spark in boost, especially in the area of max torque.

Is this a Duratec or a Zetec? Your only real tuning option is going to be SCT Pro Racer, until (if) HP Tuners supports your car.

At a minimum, I would remove the boost controller and run your boost reference straight to the wastegate to get as little boost as possible. Or, remove the spring from it too so you don't run any boost until you get a tune. When you run out of fuel you are running lean enough that you're going to eventually put a hole in a piston.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It Is 2.0 zetec. I'm not sure who to go to for tuning. I'm kinda scared to let anyone touch it now since the guy who put it together. I will subtract spark this afternoon and see if I can hold a little boost without fuel cut out. I have to feather the gas pedal while accelerating as to not over extend flow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will start with the controller delete. Which spring do I remove from wastegate as there are 2. 1 inside another. Should I remove the inner or outer? I took apart the old wastegate to see if it was possible to clock it where the vacuum lines were easier to access as where it sits now has them right against the upper radiator support. The guy I had install this kit really screwed me over on money so I don't have the funds to got the custom tune. But if someone was to tune and teach me more about turbos, I would keep going to them for anything I can't do. And send lots of people their way. I partly run a tire shop in ellenton FL. And we have a pretty good customer base. And a lot of them have performance vehicles that need some attention. It would be cool to be able to send them somewhere they will get the service they need.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You 100% need a custom tune ASAP before you blow the motor. You can't adjust sufficiently with the end user WOT fuel adjustments, and yes you need to remove spark in boost, especially in the area of max torque.

Is this a Duratec or a Zetec? Your only real tuning option is going to be SCT Pro Racer, until (if) HP Tuners supports your car.

At a minimum, I would remove the boost controller and run your boost reference straight to the wastegate to get as little boost as possible. Or, remove the spring from it too so you don't run any boost until you get a tune. When you run out of fuel you are running lean enough that you're going to eventually put a hole in a piston.
Thank you for reply and suggestions. Anything I can do to not blow the motor I will do. But would not be too heartbroken if it did as I would drop a 2013 ST motor in and be done. Wanted to do it first but it's better for me to learn on old stock motor first. I got this car for free in Texas 4 years ago from a guy that builds mustangs for racing. He has built a few for street outlaws too. It'd been a great car so far.

·
I
13,414 Posts
Have a pic of the wastegate? I am guessing it is both springs... but also a wrong guess here means infinite boost which I'd rather not do to you 😄

I would reach out to FSWerks or Torrie at Unleashed to see if either could tune on your SCT handheld. You'll need a wideband hooked up to datalog.

I would just stay completely out of boost until you can get a tune on this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bro, thank you. I will definitely look into it. So far, after removing the small spring from wastegate and also removing the boost ref from wastegate, it already does better. Still can't hold the boost for long, but at least it's not falling on its face as often. Also I have found that I can floor it and actually get power. At least through 3rd gear. After that, the clutch slips and the motor just revs. It's a work in progress, so I will be changing things up from time to time. First thing is the clutch replacement. Have to go with a stage 3 to make sure It holds the power it's putting out. Second is the air fuel ratio. Once I get it where the mass air is not cutting out fuel and I get a little more fuel flow, I will be golden. People hear the turbo spool and try to race me all the time. I have to turn them down because of the current issues. Can't wait to finally get it right and blow the doors off these dummies. Will keep yall posted.

·
I
13,414 Posts
Bro, thank you. I will definitely look into it. So far, after removing the small spring from wastegate and also removing the boost ref from wastegate, it already does better. Still can't hold the boost for long, but at least it's not falling on its face as often. Also I have found that I can floor it and actually get power. At least through 3rd gear. After that, the clutch slips and the motor just revs. It's a work in progress, so I will be changing things up from time to time. First thing is the clutch replacement. Have to go with a stage 3 to make sure It holds the power it's putting out. Second is the air fuel ratio. Once I get it where the mass air is not cutting out fuel and I get a little more fuel flow, I will be golden. People hear the turbo spool and try to race me all the time. I have to turn them down because of the current issues. Can't wait to finally get it right and blow the doors off these dummies. Will keep yall posted.
If you hook the boost reference back up, it should give less boost.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will try that this weekend. I have higher flow injectors on the way to try and stop the fuel cutout at higher boost. I will also have to find a different way to connect the boost ref where the line don't get burnt seeing how it's in a very tight spot near exhaust.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm picking up a turbo'd 2002 SVT Focus this weekend and can't wait to start driving it.
I almost got a yellow one a few weeks ago. The guy wanted 7k for it tho. Don't have that kind of cash. Would have been awesome though. Also had a line on a built 05 that the guy couldn't keep running for 2k but it sold right before I could go see it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts