Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...**A factory installed Quaife** and even a tad more power.
I guess even this news won't sway the "it's still a Neon" crowd

An SCC tear down of the 2.4 reveals detail on the funky one piece manifold/turbo.......along with a very robust design overall and Inconel(!)exhaust valves.

It's hard not to want one of these things, I don't care what the haters say.........

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
...**A factory installed Quaife** and even a tad more power.
I guess even this news won't sway the "it's still a Neon" crowd

An SCC tear down of the 2.4 reveals detail on the funky one piece manifold/turbo.......along with a very robust design overall and Inconel(!)exhaust valves.

It's hard not to want one of these things, I don't care what the haters say.........
Well hopefully if all goes well, one of our very own track monkeys might be lemoning his SVT, and is looking at the SRT-4. I'm trying to get him to get it. I mean coming with a stock LSD... there are no downsides to this car!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean coming with a stock LSD... there are no downsides to this car!
Cue the responses of:

"it's still a Neon, my friend's uncle had one that exploded, friggin' crank windows in the back....blah, blah"

DC's new $400k racer's contingency program shows me where there heart is.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
...and the Quaife only adds about $1000 to the MSRP - you could never get one installed in the aftermarket for that price. In fact, I have read that Quaife developed this for PVO and that Mopar Perf has the exclusive rights to distribute it at approx $1400. I saw quite a few upset/disappointed/jealous '03 owners on the SRT Forums becuase of this change.

I have to say that I'm impressed by the performance of the car - it takes "bang-for-the-buck" to a whole new plateau, but I would never personally buy one. My friend with the EVO is planning to get one in '04, but he's still keeping the EVO along with the three other cars he owns.

>8^)
ER

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
The thing that really keeps me from looking at it more closely is that fact that I'm all about the hatchbacks.
Our local Dodge dealer had 4, one of each color...only the Yellow and Silver are left. The only 2 colors I'd consider.

I'm not a sedan hater, mid-to-upscale sedans are fine. I like the EVO and the S4

But somehow an econo sedan has a certain blah factor to it. But I'd overlook that for sheer performance.

BTW, is anyone aware of any color choice additions/changes for the '04 SRT-4?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Yes, I really like these cars. There is a "used" demo car (800 miles on it, and a scratched rear rim) and the Dodge dealer is asking $24,000!

I think if I were going to go to the dark and scary Mopar world (just kidding) I'd seriously look at the turbocharged PT Cruiser instead. Yes, it's heavier and a bit detuned, but will accept the same upgrades. Plus, you have practicality.

However, the seats in the SRT-4 are sweet looking, and I'm a pushover for a nice seats and a chunky steering wheel. I'll be interested in the long-term reliability of the SRT-4. Chrysler's previous turbos seemed to hold up pretty well. And if there's one company in the US that knows anything about turbos, it's Chrysler – who else would turbo K-cars?

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
BTW, is anyone aware of any color choice additions/changes for the '04 SRT-4?
Yellow is dropped, and the Blue that is offered on the GT Cruiser will be offered in it's place.

I laughed pretty hard at one guys comment on the SRT Forums when he said that should make the resale value of his Yellow one go up.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I laughed pretty hard at one guys comment on the SRT Forums when he said that should make the resale value of his Yellow one go up.

>8^)
ER
Sadly some SVT Focus owners here on this message board think the same too.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Yeah, but it's still ghey looking...

Of course, I don't know what's worse, driving a ghey looking car, or being beaten by one!

Seriously... love the specs... just can't see myself driving it. No damn good reason, I just don't like Neons.

$1000 for a Quaife though? That's a total ripoff!
A Quaife only costs us $600, and that's at "Bendover Quaife USA" prices. Figure it really costs DCX... $400 MAX. Probably $200 realistically. Subtract the $50 cost of the stock unit, and the real upgrade cost is only like $150-350. Somebody is making a mint.

Oh well, I can only hope it sells, to show the bean counters here at Ford that people DO want LSDs!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Wait, LSD comes standard or is it optional ? I guess I really have to go to the Dodge dealer, they advertise it for $19K, but it must be the basic one.
The thing with this car, I will draw attention and many more stupid people want to challenge me on the street

=dRe=

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Check the brand new issue of SCC they have a pictorial of the SRT-4 engine disassembled. The whole staff contributed to the article. They were pretty impressed with the strengh of the pieces and engineering.

Seems the real reason it's was designed so well is that it was green-lighted for the PT Cruiser GT. The engineering lead time was short (not as much time test) so they were allowed to over-engineer it a bit to ensure durability.

Also, Dodge is officially raising the output specs to 230HP. SCC was not sure if this was an actual increase in power or just an "adjustment" to the figure due to the fact that the car is dynoing incredibly high compared to the stated output.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Exactly, as fast as it is stock, it still sucks donkeys for quarters.

YOu can make a fast pinto. But do you really wanna be caught dead driving that hunk?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Like it or not, it's selling well. The dealer told me they have no incentive for it not like other dodges.
I'm sure it all changes if I really go there and be serious about it. Anyway, I don't hate dodge or neon badge, but there is something not right about the car look.

It will be on my monthly dealer test drive list, though

=dRe=

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
New Color: Electric Blue

Also in this pic you can see the new sunroof option and BFG KDW2 g-Force tires.

What you can't see in this pic:
<ul type="square">
[*]New torque-sensing limited-slip differential developed jointly with Quaife
[*]Horsepower increased to 230 hp (172 kW) at 5300 rpm and torque increased to 250 lb.-ft. (339 N•m) between 2200-4400 rpm
[*]New NGC3 engine control module and a new calibration for wider torque range
[*]Larger fuel injectors provide increased fuel flow
[*]Unique racing-inspired bright pedal pads added
[/list]

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Now... in that colour, I could be swayed. If they had made it good looking... like a Cirrus or better yet, the Avenger... I'd be at the Dodge dealer right now.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts