Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless someone else has done it and not broken anything.....

The 2005 HVAC knobs DO NOT pull right off.

I was trying to do the SVT HVAC swap (you gotta take the knobs off), and I broke the temperature knob off earlier today

First I tried pulling with my hands....no luck
Then I tried the pliers and had a towel wrapped around them(and it still messed up the rubber on the knob)...no luck
Then I tried a screwdriver to try and pry it...no luck.
Then I tried pulling the control in the back of the controls and that didn't work either.

Then the pliers ended up breaking 1/2 the knob off.

So my plan is to try and find a earlier Focus's HVAC controls (where I know the knobs come off) and then do the SVT HVAC swap

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: 2005 HVAC knobs

So much for replacing the knobs. Does the SVT HVAC fit in the '05? Let me know what happens. Why do you need an earlier Focus HVAC controls if you are putting in the SVT ones?

·
Registered
45 Posts

I did the HVAC swap on my '05 ST, and they pulled off.

It was damned hard, but they came off.

I had to use a pair of pliers and a rag, and yank straight back.

·
Banned
2,115 Posts

Yah their ruff but it can be done I ripped the ones off my 05 and they where fine, finess my friend.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

I had the same problem. Ended up unscrewing hte controls from the back and prying from there. Prying off the control and pushing the knob off in turn.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well the HVAC unit in the '05 is exactly the same as previous years
I went to a junkyard and got a HVAC unit out of a wrecked '03 Focus and it was the same piece and had the same connections & everything.

I needed a new unit because I broke the piece for the temperature control that stopped it (from left to right movement-because it would just keep spinning around). I went to super glue the little piece of plastic back on and it wouldn't stay. Well the glue still dried and it wouldn't turn anymore at all.
Plus I broke the knob for the temperature control off....AND I couldn't get the knobs off the selector & fan speed.
(I used pliers and a rag on the knob, but it still chewed up the rubber off the knob anyways)

I paid $35 for the whole radio bezel with the HVAC controls & sold the bezel to someone for $20....so not too bad.

The knobs came right off the '03 HVAC controls...go figure

Swapped everything to the SVT HVAC & then attached it to the bezel and it works perfect

I'll post pics tomorrow

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So much for replacing the knobs. Does the SVT HVAC fit in the '05? Let me know what happens. Why do you need an earlier Focus HVAC controls if you are putting in the SVT ones?
Yes the SVT HVAC fits in the '05

You just gotta get the knobs off first (which is the hard part--without destroying them) and then swap the pieces on the back from the stock HVAC to the SVT HVAC

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

No, I bought a black one from the dealer since I hated the ugly silver one (it didn't match anything!)
I found out that it comes standard in the '05 ZX4 sedans with the tan interior, but will fit all the '05 Foci
Was only $30 from the dealer

Part Number:
5S4Z-5404644-AAA

·
Registered
8 Posts

Are you the guy with the real leather shift and E-brake boots? If so do you have part #s? Thanks

·
Registered
3,589 Posts

I just finished swapping my hvac bezel out...
w00t

·
Registered
204 Posts

What steering wheel is that?
Thanks
Steve

I did the HVAC swap on my '05 ST, and they pulled off.

It was damned hard, but they came off.

I had to use a pair of pliers and a rag, and yank straight back.

·
EAT MORE CORN DAMNIT!!!!
3,070 Posts

^^Stock ST Steering wheel...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Are you the guy with the real leather shift and E-brake boots? If so do you have part #s? Thanks
Yes, I have the real leather SVT shift & e-brake boots

If you buy the shift boot new it's like $92 and the e-brake boot new is $54 from the dealer....so it's pricey!

From Fordparts.com.....they're $68.12 & $39.70 each (~$108 total + shipping)

<u>Part numbers:</u>
Shift boot: 2M5Z-7210-AA

E-brake boot: 2M5Z-2A713-AAC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts