Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have definitely done my fair share in bashin the exterior and FWD of the new eclipse but definitely haven't given it a fair chance (not that mitsu deserves one
). So today i had the day off and i thought what better to do to go for a test drive and take a full review...

Exterior: eh still. the fenders are just not the right shape and the car begs to be wider. Haven't liked the eclipse styling since the 2nd gen, and still holds today. Although the rear is an improvement from the last generation

Interior: Definitely a step up since last years in terms of materials and seating. Only pet-peeve is the insanly high audio screen where they should have stuck more gauges like the 350Z

SoundSystem:Absolutely INSANE
. This sound system will bump to the point that u think your going to either blow a speaker or your ear. Awesome setup allows u to get lost in it thinking your in a sound proof booth with surround sound. Even outside, the car handles the extra sound and doesn't rattle or disapate too much.

Engine/Driving:Alright just to get it out of the way, its FWD, and they blew it with that. Should have only been RWD or AWD. With that said, this engine is quite the revver. Driving feels good with torque all over. However, i though 263hp would have felt a lot more powerful so that gave way to dissapointment. The 6speed is a good tranny however too slushy for my taste. The exhaust didn't give a great sound either, making you rev the engine for the sound. Brakes are adequate, but again, another place Mitsu should have stepped it up.

Thus my conclusion. Still don't like it. Yes i have more respect in terms of the power and driving of this car, and awesome
for the sound system, but thats it. In so many places i thought "well a suspension kit will cover that...exhaust will fix that...short-shifter will be awesome.." but for a car that costs..

..The last thing you want to immediatly think driving off the lot is, "aftermarket"

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
30,000 grand for something that weighs heavier then a Mustang GT and is slower (in all or most magazine test anyways). I agree the new Eclipse should of been an AWD car or at least the V6 version should have been. I've also read many times too (as with your experience) that the V6 doesn't pull or seem as strong as Mitsubishi says. Overall the car doesn't impress me and the look of the car is too blobby for me to like.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As much as people complain that it should have been AWD, when the Eclipse did offer AWD it only accounted for around 10% of sales.
yeh but that was then, when RWD was running high in sales...its the age of AWD now, they should've capitalized on it, specially if they wanted to save their US market

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
As much as people complain that it should have been AWD, when the Eclipse did offer AWD it only accounted for around 10% of sales.
...and it accounts for 100% of Subaru's sales, and nearly every mid/upper end sedan is offered with AWD now.

AWD is definetly "in." For $28k, people expect more than an overgrown, overweight sports coupe.

Not to mention the Eclipse is already on it's 2nd recall...and its only been out what, a month or so?

The toilet is flushing for Mitsubishi, and slowly each of the turds they make will spiral their way to oblivion.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just stating fact. If you guys have the answers then you'd better apply for a job as Product Planners at Mitsu.
lol

i agree, if they could take a dumb chance with this car...they should at least put me on the payroll

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
I hate that car.

It should die.

- Drew

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hate that car.

It should die.

- Drew
well lets just say, thank god the saleman didn't come out with me...i delightfully rocked the engine/tranny to my liking, even then it didn't feel that quick, but sure as hell chirped more than tweetybird
if its any consolation

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think if they wanted to put a big-displacement V6, they should went back to their attics, do a revise on the 6G72 Twin-Turbo (3.0L) or the 6A12 Twin-Turbo (2.5L) and then stick it in the '06 Eclipse. At least they'd have the "power" to back it up, instead of sticking in a big ass 3.8L N/A V6 in the car that only creates 263hp.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Looks nice, Cant wait for the Gsxt, or the AWD turbo one.. if they ever make one.. ill be reallly intrested in one.. if they dont make a new svt focus.. then ill get the eclipse

·
Car Photo God!
4,292 Posts
Exterior: eh still. the fenders are just not the right shape and the car begs to be wider. Haven't liked the eclipse styling since the 2nd gen, and still holds today. Although the rear is an improvement from the last generation
Isn't the 06 eclipse recorded as wide as a Ford Explorer?

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Isn't the 06 eclipse recorded as wide as a Ford Explorer?

where did i say the Eclipse was narrow...

i said the body was beggin to be wider the way they designed it

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks nice, Cant wait for the Gsxt, or the AWD turbo one.. if they ever make one.. ill be reallly intrested in one.. if they dont make a new svt focus.. then ill get the eclipse
um, were u here for the last generation eclipse? did that have a turbo/AWD one even when their company was dwindling...i highly doubt they do one with this especially since this car is close to a final attempt to stay in the U.S.

-chris

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and just to add-on something i was just thinking...i was extremely dissapointed with the exhaust of this car. My ex-girlfriend has had a 2nd gen eclipse (v6) and a IS300 and both seem to give a awesome exhaust note, deep enough to be heard when stepped on...

this only gave a light whine...poor decision on that one, especially for a "performance coupe"

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and just to add-on something i was just thinking...i was extremely dissapointed with the exhaust of this car. My ex-girlfriend has had a 2nd gen eclipse (v6) and a IS300 and both seem to give a awesome exhaust note, deep enough to be heard when stepped on...

this only gave a light whine, my brother's PT gives more grunt...poor decision on that one, especially for a "performance coupe"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts