Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my white 2013 Focus ST from a private seller a few weeks ago. Get home, vacuum, clean & wash. While drying I notice slight rust bubbles beginning to form on both rear doors [at the seams] and the hood [also the seam]. Bought it with just over 38k miles so it's out of the original warranty even though it was only 33 months old. Dealer confirms the rust but can't do anything as it's out of warranty. Suggested I call Ford, same story. Contact BBB, same story. Dealer body shop confirmed the same, improper assembly/lack of paint or seam sealer.

Ford's rust "perforation" warranty goes for 5 years. It appears as though mine won't rust through [perforate] within that period but likely thereafter.

So, it looks like Ford won't do anything and I'll have to spend the $ to get it fixed else I'll have rusting doors & hood in not too many years.

We all know that rust doesn't occur overnight and this is obviously due to a lack of proper assembly/paint/seam sealer.

If your Foci is still within the 3yr/36k warranty carefully look at all the door, hood & hatch seams. IF you see any rust forming take it to the dealer, get it documented and fixed [I'd ask them for new panel].

·
****ney-4-Life!
3,685 Posts
Ford's rust "perforation" warranty goes for 5 years. It appears as though mine won't rust through [perforate] within that period but likely thereafter.

Typed in 2015. Your car is 2 yrs old!!! Start kicking up a fuss!!

·
****ney-4-Life!
3,685 Posts
Tin-worm (Rust) and paint are covered for ten years here. Your climate is better than ours...

·
I
13,302 Posts
Tin-worm (Rust) and paint are covered for ten years here. Your climate is better than ours...
Eh... Having been to both places I would say ours is definitely worse. We have our roads covered in chemical de-icer (makes salt look steel friendly) for 4 months out of the year to the point my 2001 Focus had the floors and rear subframe rotted through (it snapped). They debated changing the formula after the sand/salt trucks (gritters) were rotting through after putting it down for only one year.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
See, our country is big enough to have different climates across it. Arizona and Minnesota aren't even in the same book.

·
****ney-4-Life!
3,685 Posts
See, our country is big enough to have different climates across it. Arizona and Minnesota aren't even in the same book.

No flies on you are there.:p So Ford US have different clauses in whatever state your in, on regards to paint and rust?

·
****ney-4-Life!
3,685 Posts
Nope! :lol:
A given.

So, your 'sayin' that different dealerships have differing levels of cover on cars built on the same factory-line

Ummm...

I doubt this.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
?? no, they all have the same. The conditions the cars have to endure is vastly different

·
I
13,302 Posts
All covered by Ford.
From the US 2014 Warranty guide, see page 12:

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/2014Warranty.pdf

Damage Caused by Use and/or the Environment
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover surface rust,
deterioration and damage of paint, trim, upholstery, and other
appearance items that result from use and/or exposure to the elements.
You, as the owner, are responsible for these items. Some examples are:
• dings, dents
• cuts, burns, punctures or tears
• road salt
• tree sap, bird and bee droppings
• windstorm, lightening, hail
• earthquake
• freezing, water or flood
• stone chips, scratches (some examples are on paint and glass)
• windshield stress cracks. However, limited coverage on windshield
stress cracks will be provided for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles
(which ever occurs first), even though caused by use and/or exposure
to the elements

In the UK, it's similar for you too:

I have corrosion appearing on my vehicle. How do I know if this will be covered under the anti-perforation warranty?
If any part of the original bodywork of the vehicle is perforated by rust corrosion, the panel(s) affected by the perforation will be repaired or replaced by any Ford Authorised Repairer, completely free of charge, regardless of any change in vehicle ownership.
Note: The term 'perforation' means a hole that penetrates through the bodywork caused by corrosion from the inside or underside as a result of faulty manufacture.Note: The term 'bodywork' does not include road wheels and attachments such as bright trim, bumpers, mouldings and hinges. The 'Load Platform' installed on the Ford Transit is also excluded.

What is the perforation warranty period?
The perforation warranty starts at the same time as the Ford Base warranty and continues for between 6 and 12 years (depending on model). Refer to your vehicle's Service Portfolio (formerly warranty & service guide) for the warranty periods applicable to your vehicle.

http://www.ford.co.uk/BuyingandprotectingyourFord/Warranties/FAQs

It has to be a hole. Surface rust isn't covered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts