Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would that work? I have a chance to grab a set of slightly used falken ziex 512s for like 200 bucks, thinking about putting them on a set 17x7 wheels? What do you think? Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had those and they [censored] suck ass! The sidewall separated after having them for a short time. 215/40/17 much better size IMO!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So are you referring to the brand/model of tire? Or the size?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Would that work?
It'll "fit" no doubt. I have RA1s that I use for track days (for now) in 205/40-17. The sidewall is very short and there is no rim protection to speak of at all. Here's a picture:

I've had no rollover issues, although I do monitor tire temps/pressures. I think it would be smart to put a few extra pounds vs. the factory recommendation when driving around the street. At the track, the RA1s are running 41 lbs+ hot. Personally, it is not the size I would choose for street use.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Would that work? I have a chance to grab a set of slightly used falken ziex 512s for like 200 bucks, thinking about putting them on a set 17x7 wheels? What do you think? Thanks, Jon
we used to run 205/40/17s on the race car..led to much strut bending...not enough sidewall to absorb shocks..now run 235/40/17..much better

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i like the Lan Evo V or VI Tommi Makkinen Edition in the background...don't see too many of those

Laz

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats basicallly what i was thinking. Thanks a lot guys, L8er Jon

·
Registered
431 Posts
Of course it would work, very common size to run on 17x7's. I personally run 215/45/17's and wouldn't run any other size, but it's all personal preference. As for the brand, my brother is currently running 512's on his mustang gt. Super sticky, great in the rain also, but he's on track to get less than 12k out of them.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a set of the tires on my 16's now. Been good tires so far. Got about 24k on them. I thought i was the one wearing tires out LOL L8er Jon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts