Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll bew looking for new tires soon, what would you guys recommend for the stock 15s??

·
Registered
160 Posts
well, the 55's would be closer in diameter to stock, the 50's would be an inch shorter...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have owned several sets of tires in 60, 55, and 50 section width. I have recently done an agonizing appraisal of the situation and decided to replace my 16" Focus wheels with 15" wheels so that I can run the stock size 195/60-15.

In my opinion, based on my own experience you gain little by going to 55 or 50 section width tires, and you do gain some disadvantages. There may be a very slight improvement in handling, but you would need electronic timing on a race track to determine it. In everyday driving the difference in handling is not readily noticeable. Everything else is disadvantages:

* As the tire gets wider, the propensity to hydroplane increases.
* As the section width goes down, the ride gets more firm and jarring, and there is more possibility of damaging a wheel when hitting potholes, etc.
* I feel less steering response in the lower profile tires. I like to feel what the steering and the vehicle are doing through the feel in the steering wheel.
* The wider tires are more susceptible to balance problems and uneven wear.(assuming you are using the stock 6" width wheels).
* When you depart from tires with the stock rolling radius, you introduce speedo errors. Of course, you can have your speedo recalibrated at your friendly Ford dealer for a modest charge. A 205/50-15 tire would cause approximately 4% speedo error.

·
Registered
263 Posts
* I feel less steering response in the lower profile tires.
The decrease in steering response that you are feeling is not due to the lower profile tire size . . . you should being feeling better steering response because of the shorter sidewall . . . you're probably feeling the effect of running too wide of a tire on a relatively narrow rim. The rim is not wide enough to properly support the tire so the sidewalls kind of "fall" in.

Also to follow up on the above posts, by going to a much smaller tire you create a larger fender gap which looks bad.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I would think that the 205/55/15 would give you a little more rubber on the road, with near the same sidewall. When we going to do your pullies?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the pullies mm...., give me 2 weeks to find a sitter. what days are you free now? how about a saturday morning?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts