1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok these are things i have said in the other post ,lets keep this one friendly

stock block,stock cast crank ,stock computer

this is a 2.0 zetec

i will not tell the cams ,it is a stock head that i have been working on starting back in June

This is only here to show that we do N/A engines as well as boosted NOT to make Naz or anyone else look bad

i will try to post a dyno later today when i get home and i will try to show it with another focus more stock so you can see the diff.

Please lets keep this one friendly

tom

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
DAMN
208 NA

Amazing!

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Originally posted by 1turbofocus:

Please lets keep this one friendly
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just emphasizing this for those less-curtious ones.

Nice Tom!
Any idea on how it pulls with a similiarlly rated boosted Zetec? (I know you can go much higher with boost)

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
If the man tells his secrets how would he sell his buildup? I for one would go NA if this kind of power is available... and who else better to buy it from?

·
Registered
452 Posts
bravo man, im proud of the focus community, sometimes
. its your secret, ill leave it at that, im sure you will tell us someday. ill wait...

EDIT: oh yeah and what times are you expecting to run?

[ 10-18-2002, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: FOCAL X ]

·
Super Moderator
12,436 Posts
Tom is this something that you are going to sell? Or was it just a project? Awesome numbers and let me know if you need a host for the dyno.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Nice work Tom... but we would like some details please. If you're trying to sell it... people need to know what is involved.

Stock Block. Ok, so, you started with the stock block... did you bore it? Or is it FACTORY STOCK? You say 2.0, so I guess it's not bored. How about align bored, etc? Sure, it's a stock part, but did you work it?

Stock crank. As in, factory stock? Or did you lighten, balance, shot peen it, etc?

I take it we can assume the rods and pistons are NOT stock, since you didn't mention it, right?

Stock computer. Chipped though right? Well, of course, because the rev limiter would kill you.

What head did you use? Stock Zetec head, or did you start with an SVT head?

Intake... stock, or sheetmetal?

Main caps? Big end studs?

I think you can give us this info, just so we have an idea what we're all talking about here. So we're all on the same page.

I'm not doubting you did this. But, I have trouble believing you just ported a head and bolted it onto a STOCK BOTTOM END, ie: The crank has never seen daylight since the day it left the factory.

And please post the torque numbers. I need to stop these evil thoughts of ditching the turbocharger since I can make the same power N/A!

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
oh..oooh P...remember, you cant ask?!!

Anyways, for what it is, great job tom, the power is great, especially for an NA car

--->What was the torque peak and at what rpm, if i can know?

To bad we have no idea whats making this power...but thats cool, its amazing that there's an N/A car making 200whp+

and im not looking bad tom, dont worry

Hey tom, so can we BUY these magical cams from you or what? I would love to see a cam that comes on so hard, so early, that would be ****ing awesome, if i can build a NA car with 200whp and DECENT torque, who needs a turbo???

Let us know some purchasing detail at least

and FINALLY, is this the SVT engine or regular, 2.0L zetec engine?

If its the SVT, thats alot more believable, with the 2 stage intake manifold and vct...im very intersted to know.

Oh, and I too would LOVE to buy this package, if i were to know what im buying, how much is involved and about how much im gonna have to spend...

I guess its time for a bottom end buildup for me...

[ 10-18-2002, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Let it go guys...we can't know

its all good, im glad its making the power, take it to the track tom, and unlike with your turbo, you CANT substitute crappy traction, weight and gearing with power, so you gotta get alot more specific on the car setup to go fast, lighten it up, get some good traction, get gears and run some solid 13's

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Originally posted by P-51:

And please post the torque numbers. I need to stop these evil thoughts of ditching the turbocharger since I can make the same power N/A!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Don't worry, as fun as our little screaming N/A cars are, you have been ruined by the "torque god" with your turbo. As much as I love N/A, with your pectel and growing turbo experience,....well if you ditched it now, it would be worse than going with a chromed quaife hood ornament

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Thanks for the info Tom!

At least we know the motor is "stock" but has been "worked".

Naz, a lot of that work will not make more power, but it will make the engine life at 7000rpm. It's a foundation for power that some people skip.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sorry I wasnt on earlier to respond to you tom. Dynamic meaning the compression ratio that is actaully obtained. Its a very complex computation its a combination of cylinder filling and when air actaully starts being compressed. Most cams run over BDC on intake stroke so your not building any compression until there is no more flow in or out of the cylinder. So in effect even though your running 16:1 static compression ratio with a radical cam say 320 degrees seat to seat its actual "dynamic" compression ratio might be as low as 8.0 to 1. This is why the guys with the 351 cleavelands that ran 12:1 compression ratio racing dome head pistons on the street with 91 octane could do that. They had a very high static compression ratio but the cam didnt begin building compression until lets say a 1/4 of the way up and on top of that the heads flowed way too low of a velocity (atleast the 4 barrel did). Thats the reason manufactures recommend raising the compression ratio along with a cam selection because if you dont your dynamic compression ratio drops to a point where the burn becomes much more inefficient. also your "dynamic" compression ratio varies to some degree as volumetric efficiency goes up within your engine rpms. With more of the total swept volumn filled there is more to compress so the over all above atmospheric pressure in the cylinder is higher. so ineffect we could all claim we have a variable compression ratio engine head just the like the BMW`s And you ask why would anything with less compression ratio make more power? well with longer duration past BDC there is more of an inertial charge to fill the cylinder at High RPM for alonger time. And consequently at low RPM there is less inertial tuning in the intake runners.. and thats also why you see so many cams look about the same in torque at about 3000 rpms.. Its all about the inertial tunning of the engine. The only thing that has more power in an internal combustion engine then the cams is the inertially tuned parts on either side of the block.so you get reduced dynamic compression and with only slightly higher cylinder filling.. Which is why the power loss is fairly large. This is why Honda was wrong when they made their vtech system.. They should have focused on a scaling exhaust and intake runner system. This would make from one bad ass torque machine of a car. And then if you added variable cam duration+lift to it you would have the ultimate combination. but thats leading off into the world of inertial tunning which is deep wide carvernous and all kinds of mean
hope this helped or made sense.. im a horrible writer.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Originally posted by P-51:
Thanks for the info Tom!

At least we know the motor is "stock" but has been "worked".

Naz, a lot of that work will not make more power, but it will make the engine life at 7000rpm. It's a foundation for power that some people skip.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Obveously, i was just trying to list the parts that will make power, since were talking about what is making all this power, and i was just talking to myself listing those parts as not real power adders..

Just tryina figure out whats making the HUGE power difference from the other guys

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Travis, I believe that the variable compression engine is beinging pioneered by Saab. BMW Valvetronic is almost infinately variable valve timing and lift technology.

·
Registered
518 Posts
mayby you were right... mayby it was saab sorry i dont keep up with the foreign market i just remeber reading it in a magazine
I knew it was some expensive foriegn car... bmw just sounded right at the moment.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts