Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to make up my mind and thought I would ask the people I trust. I don't autocross or race (yet), but I just love twisties.

I have Eibach Pro springs with Koni Yellows set on max firm. As of now It's comfortable (if that's the correct word) but more on the understeer side. So I'm thinking 22mm or 24mm rear bar? What would you guys suggest? Would the 22mm give me only a little less understeer? Would the 24mm put me in oversteer? I'm just learning so please bare with me.
I appreciate your feedback.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I would recommend running the least amount of bar that you need.

... and by "need" I mean what makes the car handle to your tastes.

22mm is a 10% increase, and 24 is a 20% increase.

I can always sell a 22mm if you'd like to alter rotation further.

Also, why are you running your Konis on full hard? Use them as a tuning tool... start somewhere in the middle and go from there. Less shock in the front would likely help your understeer a bit.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
22mm would be plenty enough for you. Just a couple mm is sufficient to change the balance.

The 24mm are for those who put stiffer bars up front and need such thick bars to restore handling balance.

Never mind the reinforcment work on the suspension you'd need to handle bars like that.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
The 24mm are for those who put stiffer bars up front and need such thick bars to restore handling balance.
Not always. Our H Stock car had plenty of rotation with a 24mm up front and a stocker in the rear.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Bar thickness is a suspension tuning tool, just like adjustable dampers, spring rates, etc.. they have to work together.

So if your experiencing understeer, you have two choices IMO (three choices if you have adjustabe ride height).

1) thicker rear bar / smaller front bar
2) softer front springs / stiffer rear springs
3) Raise the rear ride height / lower front height

All 3 of those should result in adding more oversteer.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've only had them for about a month so far and I'm running full firm to help with a rubbing issue. I'm running 215 45 17's and they rub in hard cornering.
I'm going to run 40 series once these run out, so it's just temporary. Once I get there I will use the adjust for fine tuning. So I think I'll go 22mm first to check it out.
Anyway, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great info!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
What about on an SVT with the 21mm front bar - 22 or 24mm rear bar for mostly street driving with a few days on the track?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm rubbing with a 40 (I think) offset on my 215/45, but only under hard cornering and our crappy So-cal roads.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Here's a decent question: Now that I've experienced a 22mm bar compared to the 20mm stock bar, I'd have to say, there is QUITE a difference. (Although completely predictable- nothing crazy) It's obvious just by looking at & handling the stock bar compared to the progress bar that the difference of 2mm is substantial- especially for a daily driver. But I would think bar size would be deminishing returns. From stock to 22mm there's a big difference, but it's hard to imagine there's an equal amount of difference between the 22mm bar & the 24mm bar, as the 22mm bar is already so stiff.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
It's stiff compared to what you're used to.
The 24 IS that much stiffer, though you can't "Feel" as much of the difference, the action on the car is equally stiffer.
This is why people have broken non-reinforced control arms with giant rear bars. Part of it is the mointing location, but Yes, they are hella stiff.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Stiffness changes exponentially with diameter, so it will indeed be very noticable going from a 22 to a 24--I did just that (S/T 7/8" to custom 24mm 3-way) and have settled on the 24mm setting and am quite happy that I did.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts