Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may be in another post but I don't have time to dig. 2nd Gear started grinding on hard shifts today. Anything above 4 grand on the tach. If a shift it lower it acts like it dosent want to go into gear right away but will shift. Is the Tranny going? or could it be something else? It an early 01. with an added torsen diff.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Sounds like your 2nd gear synchromesh is worn out or broken.

The synchros wear faster these days because our modern engines' emissions tuning gremlins in our ECU permit hanging engine revs on deceleration in an attempt to burn all of the fuel. The result is an even bigger mismatch in mainshaft speeds between the input and output shafts. The synchros are under even more strain to slow things down for a proper mesh.

The way to protect your synchromesh is not to speedshift, or even attempt to shift quickly. Patience is key here in waiting for engine revs to drop slightly before attempting a shift, especially 1-2 and 2-3.

Sounds lame, I know, but that's the way it is with modern emissions tuning.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't complain to much 125,000 miles of pretty hard driving takes it's toll

·
Registered
612 Posts
What kind of labour does this entale? Mine is doing this also.....will I be taken to the cleaners to get a shop to fix this?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
My car's warranty is up shortly, I noticed ti is very notchy on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. My last car had very worn collars and blockers, when you wnet for 2md, if you did not double clutch and center the shifter, it would grind like you did not use a clutch....that car had a very hard life....parted it out at 102xxx miles.

I have about 500 miles left on my 36k warranty. I know the dip [censored] at the dealership will say nothing is wrong with it, my old v8 tbird they couldn't hear or tell the stabilizer was loose until I told them to put it up on the lift so I could show them exactly what was wrong, 8 days of driving a taurus and I finally got my car back!

Is there a way to tune the motor so it does not hold the revs? I noticed that is something this car does....my last 5 speed did not, made for better and smoother shifts I think. This focus is way too harsh on shifts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts