Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3\" exhaust, install issues, etc.

Ok, so i just wasted 30 bucks on a dude at a chain shop that shall go unnamed, though is endorsed by some boxer guy, as it was the only shop in my immediate area that would even try to do the install.

Mr. Red Neckerson's co-worker informed me, after some 9 hours, that my 3" trubendz flex back would not fit, due to too tight of a clearance in the suspension area. I would have called bullcrap, but Mr. Neckerson had left for the day. So I cut my losses and took my car back rather grudgingly.

Has anyone experienced anything at all like this? I reckon I should have left when they commented they would have to cut my current magnaflow off, which has clamps btw, because the rear clamp just looked too hard to get to.

So, those of you with the big, too large for the focus because of the rear suspension area 3" exhaust...did you have any issues getting it put on?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Re: 3\" exhaust, install issues, etc.

I built my own out of 3'' mandrels and I didn't have any troubles. It was a bit aggravating over the rear sub-frame but NOTHING that anyone with a little common sense couldn't overcome. Sorry bout your luck man. Take it to a REPUTABLE muffler shop, not a chain with grease monkeys working there. Good luck,

Scott

·
Registered
823 Posts

it is a very tight fit, it took me a little bit of back and forth adjustment to get it right.. good luck
jake

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks guys. It's times like this I wish I had welding equipment, or knew someone who did. The search goes on...

·
Registered
3,212 Posts

It was tight, but doable - just time consuming. The only thing I HAD to do to the Trubendz flex back was shorten a couple pieces, and of course weld the hangers on ... and one hanger was missing.

By choice I didn't use the included U-Bolt style clamps or the two bolt flange. I slotted the slip tube connections and used good quality band style clamps. I also used V-band flanges.

I cut the flanges off the flex pipe and put on V-band flanges. I also welded a short bend section to the front of the flex. I don't know if there would have been fitting problems or not without my modifications as I didn't even try fitting with the Trubendz flanges installed.

·
Krunktronik Tuner Goblin
3,346 Posts

I plan on running a 3.5" exhaust and transition into 4" after the rear suspension.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts

It was tight, but doable - just time consuming. The only thing I HAD to do to the Trubendz flex back was shorten a couple pieces, and of course weld the hangers on
ditto. i also put in a 31" long 3" diameter magnaflow magnapack to cut down on the loudness.

it WILL fit. it takes time to get it to fit. two people makes it easier. one holds exhaust in place, other tack welds it to secure it

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well, it's finally on, thanks to a guy who actually knew how to do exhaust work, unlike the knuckle draggers at the other shop.

Had to shorten the inlet and outlets on the muffler to get everything on right. Amazing when someone who knows what the eff they're doing can get done in an hour.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts