Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm cruising in 4th. Decide to pass another car. Quick shift to 3rd, rev, release clutch, rev to 7,000 rpm with no gear contact. WTH. Feels like neutral. Push in clutch, shift out of 3rd to 4th.. release clutch, just like normal. I have gear again. Ok. Nice shift to 3rd, it's ok now. This has happened twice now. What does this mean? My linkage seems fine. Can my clutch be hanging disengaged?

I hope this rant is understandable.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Ah yes, the ol' missing gear trick. This happens to me about once a year, and it's never repeatable. I figured I was just going insane, so I haven't mentioned it to anybody.

When you say it's happened twice, how far apart were the two times?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A good couple of months since it happened last time. The last time I thought, "How wierd, I thought I let the clutch out. Oh well maybe not. I'm just tired".

Now I'm thinking, "A-HA!"

It puzzled me for a little while. What do you think? Could it be the clutch? Can it just hangup like that? Could it be the slave cylinder going out?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Oh, man, I have no clue what it could be. I suppose it could be something weird in the clutch hydraulic system. I mean, if the fluid somehow couldn't escape, that could keep the clutch disengaged when you release the pedal. Sort of like closing the valve on a hydraulic floor jack, or one of those parking brakes that works by "trapping" the brake fluid under pressure to keep the brakes applied. So if there's a partial blockage in the line that behaves like an unwanted check valve, that would explain it. But that's pretty far-fetched. It could be something in the clutch, too - like if the disc was binding on the transmission's input shaft, preventing it from sliding over and making contact with the flywheel. But like I said, I have no clue.

It happens so infrequently that I don't think I'll ever figure it out. It does mess with your head, though, doesn't it?

·
TEAM Member
939 Posts
....you need to understand that the gears within a 'stoc' MTX75 have the gears shrunk fit to the shafts....this is also true of the free spinning gears that engage with the syncros.The row of 'dogs' adjacent to the gear is all that engages with the syncro hub to connect the drive....these 'dog rings' are also only a shrink fit....no keyways or splines.In some high power outputs it is possible to spin the gears or 'dog' and loose drive thru the cogbox....

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thanks for your time. You guys rock!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts