Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 Focus is now equiped with 4.06 gears, quaife, and a center force clutch. For those of you who though that, because you own a 2002 focus, you can't do the 4.06 gears. Think again. I have the conversion done, and so far everything is going good. I have to break the clutch in before i can really tell what it can do, but for what i can tell so far is that it feels great
...........Russell

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I posted in the suggestion box last month that we should have some kind of transmission forum. This would be the perfect thread for something like that. Because honestly a 4.06 gear has absolutely nothing to do with the "powerplant" on the Zetec as this forum states, but we've got no where else to post it.
Anywoo, congrads

·
Registered
417 Posts
what was the build date on your 02? also, did you need any other parts for the gears to work? or was it pretty much straight forward? i remember reading that it was sometime during the 02 production where they changed somethings in the tranny, so i think some of the 02's will work fine and later ones will need a little more...

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Yeah, I'd be interested in the specifics because the '03 pzev tranny i have is the same pretty much...only i have even worse stock gearing. If you have a little more on what is involved and what parts we need i'd appreciate. I know i can get one done at places, but I'd like to know what the parts would just cost me to get.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure of the built date, but it does have the 1 peice shaft in the tranny. Originally it was going to take about 10 different parts to do the job. But now it only takes 2 peices. A ring and pinion gear. I don't know anything about the pzev so i couldn't tell you if the parts would work. You best bet is to call focus central and ask them. They were the ones who sold me the gears..........Russell

·
Registered
489 Posts
Any luck ridding the car of the tractoring noise when doing all of the tranny work?

I hope so....

Robert

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
the tractor noise is because of the throw out bearing...

mine did not do it from the factory. When I had a centerforce put it at the dealer, they put a brand new throwout bearing in and it makes the noise

its really just a matter of luck because once its back together, who would take it apart to swap your brand new throwout bearing for another one that could do the same thing

ps: congrats on the tranny work...hopefully this will be your ticket into the 13's

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'm not sure of the built date, but it does have the 1 peice shaft in the tranny. Originally it was going to take about 10 different parts to do the job. But now it only takes 2 peices. A ring and pinion gear. I don't know anything about the pzev so i couldn't tell you if the parts would work. You best bet is to call focus central and ask them. They were the ones who sold me the gears..........Russell
How much did the parts run you through them?

·
I'm bringing Zetec back...
3,345 Posts
What parts did you use, and whom did you get them from? I had my tranny apart for two months and could not find anyone to help me get the right parts. I called FocusSport and Focus Central and neither knew what parts I needed.
I wasted about $600 on parts and labor that could not be installed in my Sept. 2001 built Focus tranny. I am so confused as to what parts are needed and where to get them.
Like you said I bought the several pieces needed for the earlier model MTX-75's only to discover my tranny needed different parts.

·
Registered
871 Posts
so the tractor noise is fine? mine does it and i thought it was going bad. it only does it when i shift too early.

·
Registered
489 Posts
the tractor noise we are refferring to is if you are at idle, in neutral, with your foot off the clutch

then it goes away when you press the clutch in
I guess I was just hoping for a now-a-day fix thats all...This problem is one of the few (but large!) problems I have with my Foci...Diesel Gas powered???? LOL

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
Unfortunatly the tractor noise is still there.
But if you up your idle to around 1200 it will help quiet the noise down............Russell
Not to be a dick, but thats like saying if turn the radio up, the problem goes away.
The clatter you hear is common, in fact most people don't really notice it's there, until someone else points it out.
I don't think trying to adjust your idle is the answer to your problem, it's one of those things you just have to live with for the time being.
I never have figured out exactly why mine does it, but the throw out bearing sounds plausible. I have never had any problems with my clutch or trans, and my car has clattered since day one(It's now just over three years old).
When this clutch finally goes out, then I will check to see if there is anything I can do about the clatter. Until then, I just crank the stereo, it makes the problem go away!

Al

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not to be a dick, but thats like saying if turn the radio up, the problem goes away.
The clatter you hear is common, in fact most people don't really notice it's there, until someone else points it out.
I don't think trying to adjust your idle is the answer to your problem, it's one of those things you just have to live with for the time being.
I never have figured out exactly why mine does it, but the throw out bearing sounds plausible. I have never had any problems with my clutch or trans, and my car has clattered since day one(It's now just over three years old).
When this clutch finally goes out, then I will check to see if there is anything I can do about the clatter. Until then, I just crank the stereo, it makes the problem go away!

Al
Next time your sitting in your car rev it up to 1200 and see if your noise goes away, or quiets down a bit. So its not like turning the radio up. My car idles around 1200 and i'd rather it be that way then go deaf from trying to drown out the noise with the stereo.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
And it's not just isolated to the MTX-75 either. My IB5 tranny DID make the same rattle. Notice the DID? After I put my Poly motor mount in, it stopped!!! Weird....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts