Ford Focus Forum banner

4.06 Gears or lower profile tires?

708 views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  ukcuhp 
#1 ·
Cant you just put lower profile tires and it will effectively raise your final drive. Is this the same thing as switchin out your gears?? What series tire would i have to put on to get something close to 4.06?? Focus central said on their site that you could take 3/10 off your 1/4 time by putting these in, and it wouldnt have an adverse effect on your gas mileage. Would it effect it if i put lower profile tires?? Thanks lata

#2 ·
if ur goin w/DRs or slix...most all of them that r useable on our cars will b shorter. so just go that route and thus u change ur ratio at the track, then when ur done, just change it back and go home persay.

example...my drags...

205/55R14s.

-Ult

#4 ·
I have 50 series Dunlop FM901's on the stock 15" wheels. I like it
All my gears are shorter and acceleration is better. Best part... It's cheaper than opening up the tranny. If I had the cash I'd do it with the gears, LSD, lightweight flywheel and clutch but new tires was cheaper.

#5 ·
y do u need faster acceleration on the street? the final drive in our cars is fine, leave it alone, take its good mpg. work on ur motor 4 better accleration and keep it in ur pants in reference 2 any 'antics' ur thinkin bout on the street.

-Ult

#10 ·
doesnt matter whether i'm a mod or not...use ur head not ur d*ck when it comes 2 street racing, as in dont participate in it.

and yes, 3 friends dead (1 racing, 1 passenger, and another innocent driving home from work) all different accidents. mind u, i say friend in the best of terms, these werent just people i knew or went 2 school with...most every1 knew some1 who got killed in an accident or SR'g. these were close people 2 me in which i had a vested interest. and most significantly, 1 couz heavily brain damaged 2 the pt that he's essentially dead b/c he's hold nothin in comparison 2 the person he was. as result of a street racer, who was also drunk. in fact he called me this wkend b/c he computer wasnt working and it was so hard 2 listen 2 him b all confused and frustrated and in many instances barely decypher what he said....

if u wanna call it b'g nosey fine, i c it different.

that and the stupidity w/which street racing brings is y i'm concerned bout u, the fellow team member, and what ur doin. i will continue 2 impose my thoughts, inline w/those of this site, upon any1 i think might b crossing over 2 that side of the fence. in the hopes that it'll save a life. keep it in ur pants, b a bigger man and refuse. or even better, ask them 2 meet u at a track, watch how 'small' many of them r in not showing.

thats all...save some gas, get shorter ratios when ur racing (at the track) thru tires circumference, and save ur bread 2wards more engine stuff that'll help ur acceleration more anyway.

-Ult

[ 03-19-2003, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

#14 ·
Originally posted by OmniFocus:
That is not correct. The 4.06 is the final drive, so the multiplication of all gears will change.

...and even WITH my shorter race tires, I would still prefer 4.06 gears.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I deleted my post.

I had a brain fart and thought the 4.06's were first gears.

#15 ·
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:
doesnt matter whether i'm a mod or not...use ur head not ur d*ck when it comes 2 street racing, as in dont participate in it.

and yes, 3 friends dead (1 racing, 1 passenger, and another innocent driving home from work) all different accidents. mind u, i say friend in the best of terms, these werent just people i knew or went 2 school with...most every1 knew some1 who got killed in an accident or SR'g. these were close people 2 me in which i had a vested interest. and most significantly, 1 couz heavily brain damaged 2 the pt that he's essentially dead b/c he's hold nothin in comparison 2 the person he was. as result of a street racer, who was also drunk. in fact he called me this wkend b/c he computer wasnt working and it was so hard 2 listen 2 him b all confused and frustrated and in many instances barely decypher what he said....

if u wanna call it b'g nosey fine, i c it different.

that and the stupidity w/which street racing brings is y i'm concerned bout u, the fellow team member, and what ur doin. i will continue 2 impose my thoughts, inline w/those of this site, upon any1 i think might b crossing over 2 that side of the fence. in the hopes that it'll save a life. keep it in ur pants, b a bigger man and refuse. or even better, ask them 2 meet u at a track, watch how 'small' many of them r in not showing.

thats all...save some gas, get shorter ratios when ur racing (at the track) thru tires circumference, and save ur bread 2wards more engine stuff that'll help ur acceleration more anyway.

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Are you sure your not talkin about yourself?? I could barely "decypher" your typing... I have a solution for you though ULT, its called enunciation.

I am not tryin to be mean or start a fight, but you really need to type out all words. Using your "own" abbreviations for words makes you look not that smart.

#19 ·
don't get all up on ULT - he's givin me good advice before. you just have to read what he says twice. and ya... he's allowed to be nosey. he cares about us.

Jason

#20 ·
Originally posted by N/AZX3:
ok bak on topic..........waht could i expect for gas mileage if i would run 50 series on my stock 15's. And waht would me ratio be with them??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i noticed a very minimal drop in gas mileage, nothing to worry about. i dont know the gear ratio though. but gears are shorter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.