Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the gears from the old foci tranny fit the one on the PZEV? Maybe I should shoot FC an email regarding this since they are all over those gearing changes.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Depends on what year tranny they are for...Ford changed the MTX-75 somewhere down the line, and the gears available for the old ones dont fit the newer ones...I am not sure if the internal changes coincide with the 02.5 shifter change, or if it was separate...

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on what year tranny they are for...Ford changed the MTX-75 somewhere down the line, and the gears available for the old ones dont fit the newer ones...I am not sure if the internal changes coincide with the 02.5 shifter change, or if it was separate...
I knew those punks changed it somewhere

·
Registered
2,957 Posts

The MTX-75 manual transaxle is a 2-shaft transaxle.

MTX-75 means:

M: Manual
T: Transmission
X: Transaxle (front wheel drive)
75: Distance between input and output shaft in mm.
The aluminum transaxle housing comprises two closed sections. Additional reinforcement ribbing has been added to the transaxle housing to reduce noise and vibrations.

All the gear wheels in the 2-shaft transaxle are in constant mesh. In each gear the required transaxle ratio is achieved by means of a pair of gear wheels.

When reverse gear is selected, an idler gear changes the direction of rotation of the output shaft.

The input and output shafts run in roller bearings.

To further improve stability and gear shifting, the selector mechanism has been revised to incorporate a maintenance-free cable operating mechanism.

All the gear wheels, including reverse gear, are bevel-cut, synchronized and run on needle roller bearings.

The first and second gears are dual-synchronized.

Transmission Changes
Approximate Production a Part Number Engine Change Parts Affected Service Part
Up to January 2000 XS4R-7002-WC 2.0L Zetec-E Base Internal controls (transmission end shifter), oil P1S4R-7002-NC
January 2000 - November 2000 YS4R-7002-NA 2.0L Zetec-E Setser shifter/cold fix P1S4R-7002-NC
December 2000 - January 2001 1S4R-7002-NB 2.0L Zetec-E One-piece output shaft 3rd and 4th gears, final drive, output shaft and pinion gear P1S4R-7002-NC
January 2001 - April 2002 1S4R-7002-NC 2.0L Zetec-E Single 3rd gear synchronizer 3rd gear, 3rd gear synchronizer P1S4R-7002-NC
April 2002 - January 2003 2S4R-7002-NA 2.0L Zetec-E Revised shifter Internal control, cables, bracket, shifter 2S4R-7002-Nx
January 2003 on 3S4R-7002-NA 2.3L PZEV Emissions transmission 3S4R-7002-NA

·
Registered
860 Posts
Ok...So Ford changed it more than once...

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
So what's the verdict? Would a PZEV require an entire transmission swap to get better gearing? Or is the PZEVs tranny a workable starting point?

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
check out the zetec tuning forum. the gears can be made to fit with a little work, too lazy to find the thread, but ti's fairly recent.

I'm jsut bitter cuz i have an ATX

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Certainly does seem like there's more. I'd assume our cars are like the 2001's and later, as far as having the 1 peice shaft, rather than the 2 piece. Hmmmmm

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I hate to say it, but I think it'll take a brave soul to yank the transaxle from his PZEV and tear it apart to find out EXACTLY what we need to know.

This issue is near and dear to me, because I want a PZEV, but ONLY with a quaife and 4.08 gears.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
I hate to say it, but I think it'll take a brave soul to yank the transaxle from his PZEV and tear it apart to find out EXACTLY what we need to know.

This issue is near and dear to me, because I want a PZEV, but ONLY with a quaife and 4.08 gears.
But wouldn't 4.08 gears zip by real quick in an autocross? I would see a lot of 2-3-2-3 shifts. With the 3.82 in the Zetec, I would almost top out 2nd on most courses. Granted, these would really give the car some zip. Plus, I think that would bump you to Prepared or Modified.

In short, I would love to have something higher that 3.55s, but I'm worried about how it would affect autocrossing.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
So what about just fitting the 3.82 from a Zetec - wouldn't that give you the best of both worlds so to speak? I realize the car would be quicker with the 4.06, but something is better than nothing right?

>8^)
ER

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
So what about just fitting the 3.82 from a Zetec - wouldn't that give you the best of both worlds so to speak? I realize the car would be quicker with the 4.06, but something is better than nothing right?
Absolutely... It is a big step in the right direction, and MAY be an easier swap.

Egz... I'm thinking of buying the PZEV for pure fun... We already have another silver zero-option PZEV in line for HS action next year.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
PZEV / MTX-75 Info

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Ahhh hell i ripped off my exhaust for the good of the people...i'll take apart the tranny too

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: PZEV / MTX-75 Info

Greetings,

I would like to share some important information with you. I have just completed a 4.06 conversion in a PZEV Focus. The PZEV cars use a tall final drive ratio, but all other ratios are the same as ZETEC cars. A 3.82 swap is an easy "drop-in" swap. The 4.06 Swap is a bit more complicated. In either case I don't recomend it as a do-it-yourself modification.

For more information, I can be contacted here or through my website.
Great to hear man! While you're in there you might as well just go for the 4.06's I think

·
Registered
2,957 Posts

Greetings,

I would like to share some important information with you. I have just completed a 4.06 conversion in a PZEV Focus. The PZEV cars use a tall final drive ratio, but all other ratios are the same as ZETEC cars. A 3.82 swap is an easy "drop-in" swap. The 4.06 Swap is a bit more complicated. In either case I don't recomend it as a do-it-yourself modification.

Nice site it has the be one of the best places to learn about the MTX75.

I have soo many questions,,

what is needed to convert a ZETEC MTX to a PZEV MTX? Is it posible to convert the 2000-2001 shifter to the 2003 shifter?

You guy should become a Focaljet sponser.

The tranny from you guys and the engine from Gerry, and we have a swapablw Duratec drivetrain.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Greetings,

Hey do you have a picture of that intake and header for the PZEV? I'd like to what you guys have to offer for me right off the bat! You're the first to the market with this stuff

·
Banned
1,327 Posts

·
Registered
5,446 Posts

Rep yourself like crazy. THere's a lto of buzz about the PZEV on here right now and many of us are counting our pennies in anticipation of making the switch to the duratec lump. Especially since it seems liek your crap ISN'T vaporware.

Post Dynos and they will come

1 - 20 of 22 Posts