Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's been 6 months to the day since I bought my 02 SVTF and I had a few observations after 6187 miles.........

1)--I still enjoy driving it despite:
2)--seat squeak which cannot be lubed away (I read the posts) along with passenger side rear seat area rattle/ticking noise
3)--clutch rather weak; smelled a bit the other day when I had to feather it with A/C on.....hate that 24lb flywheel.
4)--Mileage with A/C off is decent. 23-24 mpg in town; 30-31 on the hiway.
5)--Audiophile system is not too bad for a factory unit. Definitely much more bottom end than the BOSE in my 2001 CL-Type S.
6)--Too bad FORD cut corners, including the tranny out sourcing, like t/o bearing, clutch disc etc. because otherwise it's a blast to drive. If it weren't for NVH issues, I'd put a lightweight flywheel and Kevlar clutch on tomorrow.
7)--Love cars you don't see everyday; that makes me overlook some things regarding this car, although if the RS came in from Europe (as in BUILT there) I'd trade tomorrow.

American automakers tend to give you something pretty good from time to time, then not make any annual changes/updates while the foreign competition passes them by. Overall a great idea albeit a bit short on power. Do love the engine's smoothness and ability to pull fairly well at low revs unlike my 99 Civic Si. First gear too tall but great once it gets rolling. Considering I only paid 16K for it I can't complain too loud.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Hard to believe that 9 months have already passed by as I truely enjoy driving my SVTF on a daily basis.

Granted I have only managed around 3600 miles since being purchased but that is due to mostly local driving for me.

Only problems so far have been:
Left fog lamp bulb went out.(fixed under warranty)
Squeaking driver seat.(fixed with WD-40)
Hard to engage first gear sometimes.(no longer occurs now)
Dead duck horn going through deep puddles when raining. (fixes itself when dries out in a day or two)
Mediocre gas mileage but will wait until next oil change to have looked at.
Aside from that I truely love my SVTF

·
Registered
426 Posts
7)--Love cars you don't see everyday; that makes me overlook some things regarding this car, although if the RS came in from Europe (as in BUILT there) I'd trade tomorrow.
So you would cough up 30K or so for a Focus?

I have 6200 miles or so on mine. Only small issues so far have been the cruise control cable that rubbed the valve cover and some sort of exhaust rattle at 1800-2000 RPM.

I got mine for under 15k too. It was a steal for the price.

·
Registered
42 Posts
13,000 miles on mine in 6 months. This car is still a blast to drive. I spend more time on the highway and backroads than in the city, and the SVTF works so well on the open road. It is quick for passing cars in 3rd gear, gets up to 90mph fast. The engine also has good torque for normal driving below 4000rpm. Went 598km (371miles) on the last tank of gas, over 29mpg. I have tried one autocross, and finished 20th out of 52 my first time out. The handling and braking on this car is great, and the ride is pretty smooth for low profile tires. The only major problem was the cupping on the right rear tire; Ford took care of that with a new shock and tire. Mine is an early build with the RLA1 software, and works fine, with just occational high idle, and very slight surging. The build quality is good, great sound system, comfortable and supportive seats. I would recommend this car to anyone who enjoys driving!

·
Registered
389 Posts
12000 miles on mine...believe it or not...never taken in to the dealer for any problems...(knock wood)...would like to keep it that way..

So far, I have a Borla Exhaust, K&N filter and Amsoil 0W30 Synthetic....
Love the car...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Over 20,000 miles in 9 months. The car is still fun to drive. It's been at Laguna Seca (less than 1000 miles last December) and Thunderhill (recently). So far, no problems. I'll probably add a cage and a 6 point harness so my wife can enjoy it future track days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts