Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's finished. Pretty straight forward. I love the tranmission. I really went well with the ZX5's setup. There was one problem, got everything together and took it out for a test drive. I guess with the different gearing, it threw the speedo off, then with it being off so much, it was hitting the fuel cut off. Unplugged the speed sensor and it runs great(just no speedometer) So it looks like I'll be sending the chip to McNews to have the ratio reset. Hopefully they can and I'll be calling them tomm. So a chip MUST be used on the 6-speed swap.

Ok here's the parts list.

Transmission
Axles
Shifter Asy
Shift Cables
Fly Wheel
Clutch
Pressure Plate
Upper Tranny Lower Mount(bolts to tranny)
Trans Harness
SVT Flywheel Bolts
Carrier Bearing Mount
Clutch Line(optional)
PS Line(optional)

Basiclly went like a typical transmission swap. Only modifications we had to do were use the speed sensor Pigtail from the SVT harness and pluged it into the stock harness, and then had to do some rerouting of the clutch line and PS Line. Everything else was cake.

Stock Shifter on LH side......SVT on RH Side

Shifter Area Bare

Harnesses(Stock on Top, SVT on Bottom)

Speed Sensor Plug Difference(Had to take the SVT Pigtail and Use in in the Stock Harness

New Clutch Masters Flywheel

Tranny Going In

Axles Going In

Shifter In

Everything Finished

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thats flippin sexy. I want one

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Her car has Crower 2's and the steep gears fit it PERFECT.....we went to McNews today and had Ray recalibrate the speedometer, so it's official, everything is running perfectly.....I wish I could mate one to my V6.....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are correct, just switch the zetec stuff with the 6-speed specific items listed above......

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
That rock Jeremy. Congrats on another myth proven wrong. I wonder what some other folks are saying about this.

Good job man.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Good info on the swap. I'm actually thinking about doing the reverse swap and putting an MTX75 into my SVT when the 3/36k warrany runs out. Not a big fan of the stock gearing in the Getrag.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll trade you all the Zetec stuff for the Getrag stuff.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
thats sweet....but you should cleaned that tranny...looks nasty...i know i know...doesnt matter what it looks on the outside, just how well it performs on the inside hehe.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to make sure it was going to work before I took all that time to clean it.....one day I'll get it back in the air and clean her up........

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I'll trade you all the Zetec stuff for the Getrag stuff.....
I'll think about it when the warranty expires.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
That rock Jeremy. Congrats on another myth proven wrong. I wonder what some other folks are saying about this.

Good job man.
i don't think many ever thought it coudln't be done. I remember people talking abt it since 2001 as possible. What we *did* question is *why* considering many thought the 6 speed was too steep for a car making the kinda torque that both the SVT and the Zetec make.

I'm glad the gearing suits your car tho, salvage. And making it happen is pretty impressive regardless. Congrats on a job well done.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What we *did* question is *why* considering many thought the 6 speed was too steep for a car making the kinda torque that both the SVT and the Zetec make.
Her car makes 150hp and 130ftlbs w/Crower 2's and an SVT Intake Manifold.....power band was between 2500k and up......after the 6-speed it moved it down to 2K up....plus with the close range the rpm's never drop off....I'll be autoxing it next weekend but by the way it drives now, it's going to run pretty good.....

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I found that the clutch hydrauilc line is not optional. I also found that the SVT power steering line was necessary, but I also have the SVT exhaust manifold on my car.

The harness is fairly optional because you can just splice the plug for the reverse light switch onto the existing harness, and it only involves soldering 2 wires.

I think you can get away with the factory shift cables, but you need to use a pair of vice grips to rotate the end links to line them up properly for the shift linkage...if you don't they will wear out quickly and pop off on your way to work...oops.

You can calibrate the speedo with a product called a speed changer as well. If you do a search online you can probably find it. It may be cheaper to go with the computer chip though.

-Todd

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Bad...(sob).....ass......(sigh)

·
Registered
24 Posts
hrmm, sounds tempting to try for my 2005 ZX3

·
That one was just me not paying attention....and s
7,509 Posts
i dont think it will work with the duratec...someone correct me if Im wrong...well I guess anything is possible, but not easily

1 - 20 of 60 Posts